Carb upgrade?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb upgrade?????

I'm looking to upgrade from my 4 barrel 1406 600cfm to a Holley 650cfm with mechanical secondaries. Right now my car stands with a 351W dual plane ford intake with a set of world windsor sr. heads. I'm sure it's a mild cam just can't remember the exact model. THOUGHTS????

I think with just the upgrade of that carb should wake my car up even more. Not looking to do any really major engine mods at this time. I'm really focus on getting the body work and paint done.
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/index1.html check these guys out
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

those guys have a great rep^

Why mechanical secondaries? Generally a bad idea for a street-driven car this heavy without serious gear and/or converter.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

not only do they have a great rep, ive seen them in action, and they are streetable, my buddy ran a 10 sec car on the street with one, not to mention almost all the x275 guys i know run them lol
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          those guys have a great rep^

Why mechanical secondaries? Generally a bad idea for a street-driven car this heavy without serious gear and/or converter.
          After looking further into it I think your right. Without having a lot of gear and having a heavier car the unit with vacuum secondaries seems to be best.
          The Best

Comment

In my '87 coupe, with the mild 306, and a 3200 stall converter, the 600 DP is fantastic. With that carb and converter, it is the definition of throttle response.

Alot of folks say that heavy cars and mechanical secondaries do not mix. But if its a pleasure car (not a DD), I would always recommend the MS. The fuel mileage will suffer, but I have multiple first hand examples of folks that are elated with a MS carb on a heavy car.

My buddy has a '69 Cutlass with a very well built 350 Olds. Ported #5 heads, radical cam, long tubes, etc. It has a mild converter, and stock 2.XX rear gears. We assed around with a 770 Street Avenger on that car for a long time, and it was always lazy, and pokey. As an experiment, we tossed on a 750 DP we had laying around. Romp it from a stand still, and the tires will go up in smoke until you lift. It was an entirely different car after we swapped to a MS carb. And his car is no lightweight. Its a full trim street car.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              In my '87 coupe, with the mild 306, and a 3200 stall converter, the 600 DP is fantastic. With that carb and converter, it is the definition of throttle response.

Alot of folks say that heavy cars and mechanical secondaries do not mix. But if its a pleasure car (not a DD), I would always recommend the MS. The fuel mileage will suffer, but I have multiple first hand examples of folks that are elated with a MS carb on a heavy car.

My buddy has a '69 Cutlass with a very well built 350 Olds. Ported #5 heads, radical cam, long tubes, etc. It has a mild converter, and stock 2.XX rear gears. We assed around with a 770 Street Avenger on that car for a long time, and it was always lazy, and pokey. As an experiment, we tossed on a 750 DP we had laying around. Romp it from a stand still, and the tires will go up in smoke until you lift. It was an entirely different car after we swapped to a MS carb. And his car is no lightweight. Its a full trim street car.
              What you think about these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-65-4777/?rtype=10 < No electric choke thou

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-76650BK/ < This one seems to have it all

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEM-1282010/ < No eletric choke
              The Best

Comment

With a high stall it the down side of a double pumper on a heavy car is overcome to some extent. With little to stock stall your betteroff with a vacuum secondary. Typicaly a smaller DP is recomended than a vacuum secondary by around 50 to 100 cfm in the same application.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                  With a high stall it the down side of a double pumper on a heavy car is overcome to some extent. With little to stock stall your betteroff with a vacuum secondary. Typicaly a smaller DP is recomended than a vacuum secondary by around 50 to 100 cfm in the same application.
                  Well right now I'm just trying to get a lil more power out my car as it stands. So what carb would you recommend to swap out for my edelbrock 1406. It's only a 600 cfm.
                  The Best

Comment

Is your intake the Performer or the Performer RPM? What is the max RPM you shift at?

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Is your intake the Performer or the Performer RPM? What is the max RPM you shift at?
                      Dual Plane Performer. My 1-2 shift can hold till just a tad under 4k.
                      Last edited by NATEHAWK; 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM.
                      The Best

Comment

i thought that was the ford racing dual plane for the 351w nate.......did u change it?
                        the cam specs it was a sealed power rv cam, sorry cant remember exact specs, we built that 351 almost 20 yrs ago lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Think the Ford racing intake was the Performer RPM Eddy if I remember correctly.

Have to wounder about that cam should be able to hit 6K roller or flat tappet. What did you use for valve springs? Any body remember thier specs?

Just want make sure nothing else is holding you back. Those heads are not the best but but they are not crap either and should do well on a 351

Comment

Are you doing the L D L shuffel to hold it

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                              i thought that was the ford racing dual plane for the 351w nate.......did u change it?
                              the cam specs it was a sealed power rv cam, sorry cant remember exact specs, we built that 351 almost 20 yrs ago lol
                              Yea it's the ford racing one but has the same specs as a performer.
                              The Best

Comment

Working...
                              X