simple question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple question......

It's getting really hot and humid outside and right now I have no a/c belt on my car. I cut the old one off since half the ribs were gone and it made a death squeal, but now I really want my a/c back. I would consider deleting all the a/c and smog stuff but with a 1 year old just the open windows don't keep it cool enough. Besides that my a/c stuff is all fairly new and works great so i'm not getting rid of it.

My question is, to any and everyone who has done the smog pump delete, does it really make a difference in power or mileage? My engine is bone stock, no mods at all unless you count muffler deletes in the stock duals. I can spin the smog pulley fairly easily, there's a small amount of resistance that I imagine is light enough the engine doesn't feel it, the only thing is the shorter belt with a smog delete may help some. But like I said, has anyone who's got a stock lopo noticed any difference with the delete? I imagine it's like adding a CAI on a stock engine, no noticable difference from the driver's seat but I could be wrong. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go without a/c for longer while I take the smog junk out, or is the difference so slight that I might as well put a new belt on and forget about it.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

FWIW, with an underdrive pulley on a 351W (but same smog pump stuff) I noticed no difference when I finally got my smog/ac belt hooked back up. Maybe on the track I'd have noticed something, but certainly no seat of the pants difference. I don't track my mileage or drive in a consistent manner, but saw no drastic mileage change either. I've heard claims of up to 5-6 HP at the top end. That, combined with the weight loss, in a fairly stock car, probably just on the edge of a noticeable power difference.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

doesnt really change anything unless your smog pump is taking a crap. If it spins easy, I doubt you'll see any change. If its hard to turn, then removing it certainly won't hurt things. Mine sounded like a 50s spaceship movie effect so I got rid of it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine like I said I can spin easy and I think works perfect, with the old belt squeal it was tough to hear anything else but I think it works fine. I didn't notice much of a power difference when I cut the belt off, certainly not the difference I felt when I got my exhaust put on (that still amazes me, how much I gained from stock single to muffler-less duals).

I think since I drive my son around and it's not getting any cooler out, i'm gonna throw a new belt on and be done with it, since I drive easy and wouldn't notice any gain down low, I hardly ever spin it fast except occasionally merging on the highway when I want to beat someone who thinks they can cut off my "old man car". Another reason I want that K code rear, really bump up low end acceleration.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
        X