what longtubes are closest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what longtubes are closest?

What longtube headers are closest to fitting our cars? As in, needs the least amount of modification?

What mods need ification?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Stainless Works makes panther longtubes now. ADTR has them. They are pricey.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh? I could conceivably order a set of ready made longtube headers for my SBF Panther? I thought they only had 4.6 headers for some reason...I has the dumb.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I thought I heard some noise about the sbf headers... I may be imagining things though.

edit: yeah... I was imagining things. Just double checked. 92+ only.

old thread about why long tubes don't fit (aka... gotta have them custom made)
        For discussions on performance modifications to the 5.0/5.8 engine. Includes engine swaps and whatever else you can think of.
        Last edited by sly; 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was looking into '70 Fairlane longtubes, like the ones on LincolnLarry (the guy with the 557 TC) has. I was going to see if they had them for 351W cars, but my search turned up nil. I guess they only came with BBF's that year? Otherwise, I may try building them.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            I thought I heard some noise about the sbf headers... I may be imagining things though.

edit: yeah... I was imagining things. Just double checked. 92+ only.

old thread about why long tubes don't fit (aka... gotta have them custom made)
            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ders-won-t-fit

thanks!

If a set from a Mustang can be modified, I could find a pair of 'em easily enough.
            sigpic

Comment

I would try other cars with 302's/351's, anything from the 60's to early 70's, not everything has been tried so you can't rule out every single one just yet. It'd be expensive and major hassle to buy a set, try it then send it back if they don't fit so if you can find a shop with a junk set to try, more power to you.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I have a set of short Mustang ones to go on my Town Car. I hope they will work, in theory they should. I think I'll just have to move the O2 sensors downstream into the pipes and I *think* I should be good to go
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                  I have a set of short Mustang ones to go on my Town Car. I hope they will work, in theory they should. I think I'll just have to move the O2 sensors downstream into the pipes and I *think* I should be good to go
                  Short longtubes?
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Finding ones to try would be the hard part. I'd only be able to find used ones so I'd need to pull the manifolds and drop the front pipes to test fit anything.

Might just go with what I know will work and is better than stock and get unequal shorty headers for a rustang. Better than stock
                    sigpic

Comment

I tried a lot of different years makes and model SBF long tubes. Most all aplications that looked good. Not all manufactures though. Tubes would require work so would possibly the cars frame at the torq boxes. Shifter interferance at the cross linkage to the tranny floor shift best solution or manual tranny.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                      X