Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smog Delete, plugging holes? kinda urgent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smog Delete, plugging holes? kinda urgent.

Right, so right now Vicky's engine is sitting on a stand, and we are in the process of replacing bearings and seals and whatnot, adding in the mustang dual exhaust, and removing the smog pump. We are a little stuck however on what to use to plug the holes in the back of the cylinder heads. We've tried 5 or 6 different bolt sizes to no avail, what has everyone else used? I did a search and didn't see anything, unless I'm completely blind.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

IIRC they are a plug thread. Not a standard bolt/nut thread.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I think i put 9/16 or 5/8 short bolts in mine.
      “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Apparently you can just flip those "pads" around to cover the smog hole, and tighten them back down. I've got to do the same to mine one of these days.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

5/8 in. -11
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I took the crossover pipe and cut that POS up leaving just the parts that actually connect to the block. Flipped them (putting the flat side against the block) and used some ultra copper (had it on hand) to make sure the seal was good and bolted them down tight. I did it in the car... so I had a bit more of a time getting at them... but with the engine out... it should be cake. Then you don't have to worry about putting bolts in those holed... just use the stock crossover pipe bolts and snug it all down good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Your lopo is out of the car, and your putting it back in?
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

5/8-NC or cut and flip the stock pipe. I've done both, cut and flip is usually easier. Getting those bolts is hard enough, and usually the threads are so clogged up you won't get them threaded in anyhow.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Put a different engine in there! Now's the time to upgrade! You don't wanna pull it out more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    Put a different engine in there! Now's the time to upgrade!
                    Perhaps $ is a factor in not up-grading.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks Everyone for the response!

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      Perhaps $ is a factor in not up-grading.
                      This. Granted I have the money to do SOME upgrades, I really don't to spend money twice. IE I don't want to spend too much money on this engine, because it's coming out for something bigger eventually, and when I say bigger, I mean 351 stroker . We pulled it to fix a monumental oil leak.
                      Last edited by hemihotrod402; 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM.
                      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

What's the size of the bolt heads on those?
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, so for the record, we used 5/8 inch soft plugs, and just an update, the engine is sitting back in the car, waiting to be hooked up.

Comment

Just finished taking the pipe off of mine and cutting the ends off, those bolts came out remarkably easy. Just gonna turn the "pads" over so the hole is facing outward and the flat part will cover up the holes in the back of the heads.

Also in case anyone is wondering the bolt head when you're removing the smog crossover pipe is 1/2".
                            sigpic

Comment

I use a distributor tool to reach those bolts while the engine is in the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X