Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maf 101?

FINALLY scored me a massair conversion!
    First successful barter I've ever done on craigslist, for a point of trivia. I traded my HF toolbox for an A9P computer, wiring harness, brandy new 1.6 ford racing roller rockers, and hedman headers in good shape (maybe new?).
    I already have an HO camshaft and 19# injectors (before folks chime in on how the a9p computer won't like a lopo firing order or 14# injectors... at all).

I need to make sure I do this right.
    Tomorrow or saturday I'm picking up a gt40 intake setup, with explorer throttle body, and a 73mm massair sensor. Don't know what I'm doing for an airbox yet: will an '05 cvpi airbox work well? Or just leave the panther snorkel?

Is this a mostly plug and play conversion, then?

Will my stock MAP sensor plug in and work fine or do I need a different mustang one?
    Will my stock egr valve and position sensor work?
    Will my stock TPS sensor work?
    Will my stock O2 sensors work?

Will I find that I have to splice in lengths of wire for the mustang harness to reach some of my panther body sensors?

The stock mustang throttle body is 55mm iirc, and the stock explorer is 60mm-- this means that I theoretically will end up running lean based on the tps sensor voltage, since the ecm will be working off of an assumed 55mm tb. Is this enough of a difference to cause problems?

And anything else I haven't thought of yet, that is actually an issue?
    It seems that this really is an easy mod; drop in the computer, drop in the harness, maybe change some wiring to make the harness reach if I find that it doesn't. Maybe, replace some sensors that aren't compatible-- which ones, if any?(like the map).
    Whenever something seems too easy and too directly plug 'n play, one is suspicious and fears murphy's law.

a BAP sensor is a MAP sensor with no vacuum line hooked to it. Absolutely identical part, and no reason to replace it.
    EGR valve and sensor is the same
    TPS is the same, but it seems to me that sometimes the stock ones don't fit the Explorer throttle body correctly. Mine does and has been on there for years, other people have had problems but I forget specifics. Something about the tab length or somesuch.
    O2 sensors are the same

you do not want to use the Mustang harness. It won't fit right and it won't lay in there correctly. Nothing is on the right side. Modify your stock harness instead. Its 4 wires, power, ground, and 2 output wires. You also move I think 2 wires in the ECM connector. Its pretty much a piece of cake, and its detailed on the intarwebnet somewhere. Just search for Mustang mass air conversion.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If my explorer TB comes with a tps sensor attached in it, can I just leave it in place (voltage signal sweep will be correct?)?

Ah, found several excellent links. I do now at least have a MAF connector that I can solder to.

Comment

yeah... TPS should be the same sweep... it's just a variable resistor and all the 5.0L used electrically the same one. They had varying physical shapes, but are electrically identical.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The connectors are different on explorer TB's, but that's easy enough to fix.

Also, the swap itself is very easy. People seem to have this misconception that you have to change a lot of wiring. You add the 4 wires for the MAF, and move a few pins around. It's really easy. Unless you got a bad computer and drive yourself crazy checking everything else.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

huh, this does sound easy.
            And using the stock harness too... why didn't I just pick up a $75 a9p and do the conversion a long time ago?

I'll let you know how it goes in a few days/ or if I have any further questions.
            I did indeed find some guides on the internet.

Comment

TFI module bolts right up, too? I recall reading that some mustangs had vacuum advance rather than our electronic... but maybe by the a9p computer it's exactly the same.
              Not really considering it, but what kind of rpms demand pricey MSD ignition systems anyway?

Comment

More than our engines can give. IIRC it's something stupid like 7500 rpm.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

MSD helps over 3000, starts to be noticable around 4500 and really surpasses over 6k. LoPo dies at 4K though. HO it will help on the very top end for strip use (5200 top end).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

QUESTION.

I have an a9p computer, the harness from a mustang, and an MAF sensor. I pulled the sensor connector out of the harness, and released the two signal pins from the mustang ecm connector, to plug into mine.

The instructions from corral are very clear, and they say to put:
                    Signal return wire into pin 9
                    Signal positive into pin 50
                    (a ground and a hot)

For the thermactor --which has been eliminated, gt40 heads are not ported to use it-- but I've still got the connectors connected to the relays/whatever to avoid a check engine.
                    I am supposed to:
                    Take the wire in 51 and put it in 38
                    Take the wire in 11 and put it in 32

Comment

HOWEVER, I have problems on all fronts!

Pin 50 is already occupied, by a blue wire
                      Pin 9 is blocked by the rear shield (I suppose I could, carefully, try to clip this away

Pin 38 is occupied by a green wire
                      Pin 32 is also blocked

Again, by cutting away that backing plate, I can reveal pin 9 and 32, but, what the heck do I do with/ where to I put, the blue and green wires that are already in 50 and 38?
                      I'm guessing the mustang MAF swap guys just never encountered this.

Comment

that plastic cover will come off... it clips to the side of the harness. No need to chop it up.

as for the wires... http://oldfuelinjection.com/5.0Lpinouts.html
                        check for your year and you'll know if it's just a dummy wire (it may have been populated for the MAF already if it's a 90-91) or goes to something else and you'll have to move it somewhere else to match up with the a9p (make sure of the year it came from as 94/95 changed it up a bit).

Comment

you have to punch the two holes through to add the pins. The wires currently on pin 38 and 32 I believe are cruise control related. Check your EVTM to confirm. There are several cruise pins actually, two I think that are input from the buttons, and two or three that are output to the servo. Its probably not a terrible idea to locate all of the cruise-related wiring and remove it from the ECM connector.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X