No announcement yet.

5.0ho swap not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is hard to really diagnose with this limited info. Pulling codes from the ECM would be a really good start. Gives you somewhere to start

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Need a mustang distributor or a HO distributor of sorts. Using the right firing order for the cam and the computer should make it run correctly.

Where are you located?

Your buddy sounds like he was ill informed as of what to do.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The distributors are interchangeable but firing order is a likely suspect. I don't know if the 351 distributors are different.
        Last edited by jaywish; 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I should have read the post better lol... Being that the HO cam is in the short block, running a HO/351 firing order needs to be done. This eliminates using the stock LOPO ECM. When working around the engine, you have to think about working on a mark VII/mustang engine. Putting in the right injectors might help too but, not sure how they affect low RPM operation. Should really not run much different. And then again, need to pull codes. Maybe you have a faulty sensor since install.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            I don't know if the 351 distributors are different.
            They are. Larger oil pump drive shaft on a 351. I believe you might be able to install one in a 302, but it would probably have no oil presure. If it had pressure, you wouldn't be driving the pump on much. Its a 5/16" hex shaft for a 302 and I think a 3/8" for the 351. Its not physically possible to put a 302 distributor into a 351 unless you forgot the pump shaft. At that point you've got problems either way.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Love all the info being put out fellas thanks!

Ok well I put my old stock tc ecm and original firing order back on the car...fires right up n runs half assedly again

Comment

I got my old 19 pounders today..thinkin about going to the jy for some 4 hole 19pounders any suggestions?

I plan on swapping injectors, ecm, n back to 351 firing order. Im hoping that gets me right....

Comment

351 firing order is required because of the cam. D9S for the same reason... 19# injectors because that's what the D9S wants.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolntcfan View Post
                    Love all the info being put out fellas thanks!

Ok well I put my old stock tc ecm and original firing order back on the car...fires right up n runs half assedly again
                    The cam dictates firing order, it's gonna run like shit with an HO cam and lopo firing order.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

DOH, You are of course correct.

Lincolntcfan. First thing to do is set the firing order to the ho/351 order. See how she runs then.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

At least the firing will be right. The injector pulses will be off but it still should be much better.
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Or just use the proper parts and all will be well.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks pantera. I dont know what I was thinking..

Any suggestions on 4hole 19# fuel injectors I could load up on at the jy?

Comment

someone posted a list somewhere... I remember taurus being mentioned... 90s explorers (not sure what years), and a few others.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

do 1 thing at a time. firing order first. see how it runs.

What do the current injectors look like ? A pic would be helpful. Color is not always a reliable indicator if they have been changed already.
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X