No announcement yet.

New to me 351W build idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting blocks are roller blocks without tapped holes for the spider.

Comment

Lighting motors in and of themselves really aren't that hot of a deal. Its 20 ponies more than the standard motor. Its got better heads, but instead of heads that were inadequate for a 302 and grossly so for a 351, they ran heads that were adequate for a 302 and still somewhat undersized for a 351. The intake is the closest thing to special about it and you can still do better. The cam is actually flat tappet for reasons unknown when all of the rest of the truck motors those years were roller cam.

If you really want to make truly good power, you're going to do a head/cam/intake swap to start with. Thats all the Lightning has over the standard truck motor, and they aren't parts made of supreme awesomeness so there is nothing really to gain by using one as a starting point. For us specifically, that intake fits under a stock hood.

Honestly there are very few factory motors from anyone, especially older type engines, that can't be improved a fair bit over factory configuration.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If your building a 302 best heads are ported GT40s (done correctly) that came on Lightnings and several other vehicles. Building a 351W you need some aftermarket aluminum heads. Most all aluminum heads are really to big for a 302 unless you are wanting to turn some really high RPM. Ported GT40s with the correct parts will make power up to 7500 / 7800 RPM.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Ported gt40 heads maxed out will flow 250cfm on intake, there's no way, just no. An afr 165 flows more as cast.

Comment

Here's a good real wold head comparison, not theory.

Last edited by JeffBoudah; 10-22-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
              Ported gt40 heads maxed out will flow 250cfm on intake, there's no way, just no. An afr 165 flows more as cast.
              There is a lot more to it than just bigger heads. They have to be sized to the engine and its usage. Most use some ARF heads on a 302then use a puny intake to compensate for it. Port volume , air flow and air speed have to be taken into account. Big heads on a small motor will be less effective in filling a cylinder to compensate RPM must be increased or size of engine.
              I use to get a kick out of blowing away 87 ish Mustangs with aluminum heads 4.10 gears and stuff with my pocked ported DOOE heads ON MY 84 MUSTANG VrJr intake, 750 Holley, 5 SP AND 3.08 rear gears turning 12.1 quarter miles. With 4.10 gears it would have been in the low 11s.

If you were to think of a flow bench like an engine say I SET UP A PORTED gt40 head then remove the head and install a larger port head the depression of the bench has to be changed to bring the air flow back up this would be the same as increasing the RPMs or enlarging the motor .Using a bunch of calculations one could actually figure the increases of RPM or engine size needed

So a 302 migh actually pull 240 CFM with the GT40s but at the same RPM wit hto large of a head only pull 200.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                351 roller blocks have a tendency to crack. You're better off with a pre-roller block and using link-bar lifters. Info here. http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...lock-guys.html
                No.. IF you're going to be nit-picky about years. You want a 69-70s block with link bar roller lifters, or a roller block. But for his specific build, roller motor is best. Unless you're pushing serious ponies.

Zach, I'd like to see that mounted up. Since I was also interested in the air dam with fog lights.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                  There is a lot more to it than just bigger heads. They have to be sized to the engine and its usage. Most use some ARF heads on a 302then use a puny intake to compensate for it. Port volume , air flow and air speed have to be taken into account. Big heads on a small motor will be less effective in filling a cylinder to compensate RPM must be increased or size of engine.
                  I use to get a kick out of blowing away 87 ish Mustangs with aluminum heads 4.10 gears and stuff with my pocked ported DOOE heads ON MY 84 MUSTANG VrJr intake, 750 Holley, 5 SP AND 3.08 rear gears turning 12.1 quarter miles. With 4.10 gears it would have been in the low 11s.

If you were to think of a flow bench like an engine say I SET UP A PORTED gt40 head then remove the head and install a larger port head the depression of the bench has to be changed to bring the air flow back up this would be the same as increasing the RPMs or enlarging the motor .Using a bunch of calculations one could actually figure the increases of RPM or engine size needed

So a 302 migh actually pull 240 CFM with the GT40s but at the same RPM wit hto large of a head only pull 200.
                  Dude, until you can produce some dyno sheet, photos, or data of any sort just keep your obnoxious bench racing to yourself.

Comment

Think I smell another Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                      Zach, I'd like to see that mounted up. Since I was also interested in the air dam with fog lights.
                      Like to see that myself. Debated about it but for my purposes decided against it.

Comment

I certainly smell what you're shoveling...

Comment

I think you need to stick a finger in your dike some might like to learn something beyond magazine articles that are most often based on who spends the most in their advertising section. Like installing a air dam. Sorry guys never realy finished the thread but got a bit side tracked on a lot of other automotive projects. Looks like several of you got the idea.

Comment

Like to see that myself. Debated about it but for my purposes decided against it.
                            Would've been cool to run air ducts from the dam up to ye ole engine

Comment

Jeff and Turbo... throttle down or take it to the battlefield.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think you need to stick a finger in your dike some might like to learn something beyond magazine articles that are most often based on who spends the most in their advertising section.
                                At least they support what they claim with data... try it sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X