Spark plug angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug angle

I have BBK headers that are spose to fix the issue I thought. So on the new motor they got everything together and the plugs aren't right. They said they need the ones with long porcelain. The new motor is an 85 stang block. The old is an 88 grand marq block. If anyone has a part number on the right plugs or on what needs changed. I'd like to not have to buy a 3rd set of headers.

What heads are you using? That makes more of a difference in the type of plugs you need. The block doesn't really have anything to do with it.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

yeah, its the heads. Other than the GT40P heads, most SBF heads run the plug at the same angle and it won't cause goofy problems. Different heads do require different plugs though, the E6 heads need the extended threads for example.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shoot it turns out they are gt40 p heads. I wonder what needs changed. The shoop either can't find the right plugs or are suggesting different headers?

Comment

The bbk headers I think are 1515, or something like that. Just working off memory lol. Standard plugs can work, need a couple 90 degree angled plug wires on a few plugs. The headers can be made to work, if they are the correct bbk ones.
          1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

That's your problem. The GT40P heads have a different spark plug angle. There are some pictures of these heads in the Exhaust Options thread with 1990 Lincoln Town Car exhaust manifolds mocked up. You'll need the 90° spark plug boots as mentioned above.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

plugs have nothing to do with it either. You need the proper exhaust bits for clearance.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry this took so long. These are some pics. They are suggesting different headers. But if these unequal length shorties don't fit then what fits on a p head? And what size chamber I wonder. If anyone has a part number that'd be great. Ima call BBK and see what they say.

Comment

hopefully this works
                  Attached Files

Comment

In the 1st picture, is the spark plug touching the tube, or just an optical illusion? Other than that one looks like you got plenty of clearance as is. I fail to see why they would recommend a longer spark plug as it looks like that would make header clearance worse in a couple spots. Shorty plugs if you absolutely have to, and 90 degree plug boots.

Comment

Working...
                    X