Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road tires

Dear Panthers,
    Most of my travel -20k a year? -is on Interstates going to sheepdog trials. My 89 CP is a boat and boats are dangerous at high speeds. In March I hope to have Scott change my 15 inch wheels to 16's, install heavy duty disk brakes and a police steering box.

I've been running Yokohama Avid ST's (at the list's suggestion) and they've been fine: rain or dry.

Although these trials are often at the end of the road farms and my own farm is at the end of a 12 mile dirt road, there aren't many winter trials in cold country and I own a dandy set of chains.

So ther all-weather feature is neutral but performance is important.

Looking through internet (tire rack) tire ratings the Bridgestone Potenza - summer & all weather get the best ratings.

Are these ratings significant or did the Manufacturer buy them? Does anybody have experience with these tires?

Thanks, Donald McCaig

for a premium tire, i reccomend firestone affinity lh30's......they are rated treadwear 520, traction A, tempature A..........i have these on my towncar, they stick to the road like glue, and mine are holding up really well after 20,000 mi.....they are warranted to 80,000 mi........i can get them for around 90 dollars a tire mounted and balanced (was 75 a tire when i got mine 2 yrs ago)

a lower cost alternative is the fuzion hri's........they arent as quiet as the lh30's but the price is lower.....about 70 bucks a tire mounted and balanced
    gadget has these on his towncar, and my friend mike with a 88 mk7 has these tires.....gadgets got about 15,000 mi on his with no noticeable wear, as i stated they do make a little noise tho

kumho's are decent for the price, those are what david has on the superlinc.......he had 4 goodyears on it....they were horrible....3 out of 4 tires was defective

with your high speed highway driving donald, and the 12 mi of dirt roads to your house, i would choose a tire that has at least a H speed rating...........they have thicker sidewalls than a S or T rated tire, but do tend to cost more money
    check tirerack.com for 225/60/16"s.......lots of choices out there, check the ratings and reviews!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Don't get Uniroyal Tiger Paws. They aren't too loud, but they don't have very good grip. My mom's 02 Grand Caravan has em with about 2000 miles, they're supposed to last 80,000mi. We'll se if they do, but the traction is awful, especially in the snow. But they are cheap.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I haven't gotten stuck or had any traction issues with my Fuzion tires, and really no complaints other than the minor noise. It isn't severe by any means, but with the windows cracked, I can definitely hear them at high speeds on a slight turn. I haven't run them in snow, so I can't vouch for their snow traction, but wet weather is fine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          Please forgive my ignorance.
          When I go to 16 inch for my 89 CP what would be the better handling tire a 245x60x16 or a 225x60x16. Would there be fit problems - wheel wells or spare tire compartment with either? Donald McCaig

Comment

I would go with the affinity lh 30's. I had some and they was awesome. Great traction.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

A 245/60/16 would give you more tire on the road, but you may have issues fitting that into a spare tire compartment.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nobody makes a 245/60/16

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                  Sorry. Scott's right. Meant to ask about a 245/50/16.
                  Donald McCaig

Comment

i had a set of 245/50/16's on my towncar......they fit, but the profile is a bit low, they looked kinda dumb on the car......didnt fill the wheelwells.......i would run either a 225/60/16 or a 235/60/16 or 215/65/16

Comment

Thanks Scott. Which of these tires puts more rubber on the road? Donald McCaig

Comment

Don, plug in the tire sizes on this calculator and you should be able to compare them pretty easy.

-Matt
                        1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec
                          Thanks Scott. Which of these tires puts more rubber on the road? Donald McCaig
                          Hi Don, generally the wider the tire (the higher the 3-digit number) the more contact area with the road. I'd recommend getting something in the 245 size, with a set of good tires like that your car will be like glued to the road, which does make a difference when the idiot in front of you on the freeway decides to do a panic stop for no apparent reason. Fuel economy shouldn't suffer much if at all, as a matter of fact it was exactly with a full set of 245-60-15 tires that I managed to pull that crazy 28mpg road tripping last summer, and I have probably the heaviest and most aerodynamically-challenged sedan in here. There's really no reason for installing 215 tires, get something wider and more stable.

Comment

Working...
                          X