No announcement yet.

Stock aluminum driveshaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one out of a 2003 and the length seems right, but its out of a police car, so its got the big-ass U-joints. I know with my Mustang, in order to use the driveshaft out of the Aerostar, I had to use an adapter U-joint, that is big on one pair and smaller on the other, works mint, wondering if the same joint would work on mating the PI driveshaft to the factory yokes.........
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

It probably will, the D/S's and flanges are pretty much the same on most fords. There is a good chance though, that the stock steel shaft has the big pattern also.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
        It probably will, the D/S's and flanges are pretty much the same on most fords. There is a good chance though, that the stock steel shaft has the big pattern also.
        Well, had the car on the hoist today and looks like it has the small U-joints, and the back one is baffed (slop) which is definitely driving me to replace the stupid thing, and while I'm at it, figure replacing the shaft with the sassy "POLICE" (written on the side) shaft!
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Is there actually any seat of the pants increase going to a alum driveshaft on a stock box? I know it saves a few pounds but is it actually noticeable
          1999 CVPI
          Old Rides
          1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
          1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Yes, my pants don't vibrate as much.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
              Yes, my pants don't vibrate as much.

HHAHAHAHHAHHA Exactly

Reduces vibration from rear-end gear changes. The aluminum driveshaft works as a damper, unlike the steel one

Comment

theres a bunch of thoes driveshafts at my work but they are all wrecked from the loader picking the cars up

Comment

will it fit on my wagon
                  sigpic
                  1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

I have found three different flanges used on the aluminum shafts. The huge PI and trailer tow versions. The other two take the same smaller u-joint but the bolt pattern is different on the flange. the flange can be swapped on the small ones.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Hmmm I shoulda got the one off the '87 P72 that they drove into the junkyard... $20. Dang it I kick myself for so many things I should have bought and didn't.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sometimes with our old boxes "dont fix it unless its broken" comes into play
                        1999 CVPI
                        Old Rides
                        1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                        1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

nice driveshaft

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                          X