No announcement yet.

Factory Gears poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya gotta have a shop press to get the old bearing off and the new one on...as much as I prefer the idea of doing things myself, with this job you're probably better off letting someone else do it.

And I feel your pain with the 2.26 gears. My dad had a '79 Diplomat with a 2.26 rear end...man was that thing ever a dog.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
      Ya gotta have a shop press to get the old bearing off and the new one on...as much as I prefer the idea of doing things myself, with this job you're probably better off letting someone else do it..
      So the bearing is pressed onto the axle like I was reading about on a 9", and the seal is pressed into the housing? Do I just pull the axle and take it by a machine shop to have the job done?

I also forgot to ask on here whether the bearings and seals and stuff are the same for the 8.5" as for the 8.8.

Thanks!
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

More than likely the original axles are gonna be grooved anyway, so you'll have to replace them. That was what we found on my dad's '96 when we had the rear wheel bearings replaced. You can remove 'em and have a look, but you may as well keep an eye out for a new set of axles.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Which digit on the VIN tells the gear ratio?
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by HwyCruiser View Post
            Marauder came with 3.55s with traction loc, went to 4.10s with the stock traction loc, fried the stock traction loc, now she has 4.30s with a Detroit TrueTrac: one badass combo
            Damn mang, we'll have to meet up one day so I can ride in that beast. I bet it really boogies.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon View Post
              Which digit on the VIN tells the gear ratio?
              It's not in the VIN. It's on the door sticker where it says "AX". There should be either a letter or a number there that pertains to what the ratio is and whether or not it's a limited slip diff.

Comment

Well 2.26's wouldn't be that bad since the original 351W had a torque peak at 1400 rpm and had the most torque of any factory Box engine ever. Okay, so that was only the CA version, but still it's worth mentioning!

Smog Equipment and Tractor Cams = teh win!
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Well 2.26's wouldn't be that bad since the original 351W had a torque peak at 1400 rpm and had the most torque of any factory Box engine ever. Okay, so that was only the CA version, but still it's worth mentioning!

Smog Equipment and Tractor Cams = teh win!
                  Huh, hadn't noticed in the specs where the torque peak was. I should post pictures of that teensy cam I took out of it, though - somehow I think it worked pretty good with the 2V carb, cruddy heads, and 2" single exhaust.

Comment

More than likely the original axles are gonna be grooved anyway, so you'll have to replace them. That was what we found on my dad's '96 when we had the rear wheel bearings replaced. You can remove 'em and have a look, but you may as well keep an eye out for a new set of axles.
                    Not so, they make repair sleeves that will press onto the axles. Worth a shot
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                      Not so, they make repair sleeves that will press onto the axles. Worth a shot
                      True, though wouldn't you have to have the axle machined down a little bit to accept the sleeve?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                        True, though wouldn't you have to have the axle machined down a little bit to accept the sleeve?
                        Actually, NAPA told me they have a special "repair bearing" that doesn't require fancy installation ... of course, I'm still clinging to the hope that I won't have to mess with bad axles.... now if only the weather will cooperate this Saturday so I can pull around the side of the building and get this little mess taken care of!

Comment

Working...
                        X