Master Cylinder Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder Install

I’m finally able to get to installing a new master cylinder and I can’t get the fittings off the old one. I’ve tried wrenches, none fit and an adjustable wrench, which started to round the heads. Any good way of removing them so I can finally finish?

Are you using line wrenches or line style crow feet?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Line wrench. I’m guessing by that response that is my issue though lol.

Comment

Sae not metric?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Sometimes I have had luck with vibrating the materials with hammer blows. On the master tight up against the fittings. Also use free all or the like.
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I tried both. 12mm is very close but didn’t work. I’ll try using a rubber mallet too.

Comment

Have you tried a penetrating oil and rotating between tightening and loosening?
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Not yet but since the threads are horizontal I don’t have too much faith in a penetrant working too well.

Comment

I'd also had luck tapping the fitting with a /punch/hammer. Then with the line wrench, be quick and pull it hard and fast (think impact). Trying to go easy just rounds off the hex.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                    Not yet but since the threads are horizontal I don’t have too much faith in a penetrant working too well.
                    Not the perfect situation but the oil will wick in. Worth a shot since nothing else seems to be working.

Comment

If you are replacing it heat the hell out of it.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I’ll try the punch route, maybe get a set of those wrenches too. The other issue is going to be reinstalling them afterwards. I’m sure I’ll round them off even more lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          If you are replacing it heat the hell out of it.
                          Always worth a shot - heat does some wonderful things!

Comment

You said you are using line wrenches?
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

The only reason I’m not going to heat them up is because I don’t have a torch on hand and I’m probably never going to use it again if I bought one.

Yes line wrenches but I’m going to buy a set of flare nut wrenches.

Comment

Working...
                              X