Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark VIII rear

Hey y'all...

Buddy of mine at work that does a lot of car work (loves playing with older Fords) bought a Mark VIII engine and drivetrain. He used the engine and tranny, and still has this aluminum rear axle sitting around, complete with air suspension and all. He thinks it's a 3.27 posi-traction, but isn't certain.

The air suspension would probably be removed. Is this compatible with the Panther drivetrain, or is that a nightmare of a swap?

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

The ring and pinion is Panther compatible, and maybe even the differential. The aluminum carrier can fit in an MN12 T-bird/Cougar to replace the cast iron unit. I heard it only saves 10-15 lbs, though. That thing would be pretty involved getting the whole thing into a Panther. I always liked the idea of a Panther with IRS. If the car was an LSC, it's probably a 3.27, or a 3.08 if it's not an LSC (like mine). Sadly, all Mark VIIIs were open diff. What did your friend put the engine/trans into?

Comment

Sounds like a fun idea; I agree with Greg, an IRS Panther could be extremely cool. I do know a guy who might be able to help with details if you need help planning the swap (he does bolt-on Cobra IRS conversion kits for early Mustangs that allow the car to be put back to stock if the owner desires). Of course, though is hourly rate isn't bad last I heard, if it takes him a while it might be an expensive way to go. Just a thought.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

nightmare....

I've been looking for one for my mercedes though... Not that I have any money though
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, if it's an open differential, I ain't even gonna consider using it. I'd like to have two wheels spinning, instead of my current one.

TorqueLover...If I'm not mistaken, he is using it in a project Fairlane he's been building. His first car was a Fairlane, and he's been playing with 'em ever since. Told me about his 302 Fairlane, he had a 460 Fairlane that he had to make a 30 gallon gas tank for...

He's been emptying his garage. Just last week he had a pickup bed full of steel parts and all...Some 400 pounds at least he gave to the scrap yard.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

the Mark 8 is a MN-12 based car, the rear end is not even compatible with a mustang

you can use the center chunk because it does not have axle tubes. If you wanted to use it you would have to build a sub frame for it to mount to. you would have to widen the track width, and then you would have to upgrade the suspension to eliminate all the flex they have
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If he's just gonna scrap it- I do need a centersection and axles for my MB project....

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                If he's just gonna scrap it- I do need a centersection and axles for my MB project....
                I don't know what his plan is for it...It's aluminum, and he was talkin' about how much that stuff is going for right now...

sigpic

Comment

What rear axle ratio are you at now? Sounds like a free 3.08 or 3.27 if you can benefit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                    What rear axle ratio are you at now? Sounds like a free 3.08 or 3.27 if you can benefit from it.
                    I've got the 2.73 open. I ain't gonna swap for another open, 'cause I'd then have to swap again for a posi-traction. I want two wheels spinning...

sigpic

Comment

Hey Scott, could you ask if he has any 8" center sections with good gears? Or a complete 9" to fit a 68' Lane.
                      -Matt
                      1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                        I've got the 2.73 open. I ain't gonna swap for another open, 'cause I'd then have to swap again for a posi-traction. I want two wheels spinning...
                        If the ring and pinion are free to you, I'd grab them and just put it in the car when you pick up the limited slip diff of your choice. I used to have the 2.73 and it sucked big ones. You'll be amazed at the difference even a 3.27 will make.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                          I don't know what his plan is for it...It's aluminum, and he was talkin' about how much that stuff is going for right now...

I've got a LOT of scrap aluminum I'll trade!

Comment

not gonna get aluminum price for the center section cause of the steel in it.......offer him 50 bucks for the gears and the trac lock.....that's about all you can use for the grand marquis

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                            X