Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks

In a few weekends (as soon as my rear springs arrive), I will be swapping out the shocks and springs in the back of my car, as well as doing front shocks.

For the rear shocks I decided to go ahead and buy F150 shocks. I bought Monroe Reflex; I removed the steel sleeve from the end bushing (easy enough), and I decided I wanted to paint the shocks (because I didn't like the factory color, and the finish wasn't very nice). After removing the stickers, and sanding them, I came across what I think is a problem.

While "playing" with the shocks, I noticed that one behaves differently than the other, when I compress it. That is, one compresses easier than the other. One is very stiff, and one isn't so stiff. They are identical from the exterior, and they both have the same PN.

I don't know whether one of them is junk (is that possible?), or whether it needs to be "broken in", or what. But, I can't return it now, so I'm just wondering if its good, or a POS.

I read that somehow these shocks can "sense" the road, and adapt based on what it feels. BS? maybe. But, when I rapped one end of the shock with a hammer, its behavior changed on compression, and on rebound.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I don't want to put them on the car and find out one needs to be replaced, etc.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Might want to stroke them a couple times, it might settle it out. Some shocks come with instructions to compress and allow the shock to extend itself a couple of times to work any air bubbles out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well, I've never been fond of Monroe's. Might just need to be run through thier paces though.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm not really a fan of Monroe's either. But, the parts guy kind of schmoozed me into them. They appear to be beefy, and I think they should be ok.

Others have told me to cycle them as well, and I believe thats what they need. I guess I'll put them on and see how they work out. If they're shit, off they'll come.... right into the garbage.
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Well I'm running sensatracs on the wagon, they were the cheapest I could find. It was a test for the f150 application on the car. They have done OK so far.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, my car doesn't go through the paces nearly as hard as yours, so these should be ok.

Comment

Working...
            X