Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing axle bearings??

Hey guys
    What tool do you use to remove axel bearings??? I just pulled the axels to replace the seals and found some wear on the axels so may as well do the bearings while I have the rear end apart. Ive done a search and cant seem to find anything maybe Im just looking hard enough I dont know can anybody help Thanx

Hi PorkChop

You use a blind bearing puller, if that doesn't work you can put a 6 foot length of re-bar through the axle and bang 'em out from behind.

Check out This tech tip for some more help.

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Slide hammer with the appropriate grips. You can rent them from most autoparts places. I suggest breaking the races and removing the pins before using the slide hammer. Makes a wider more solid place to grip the bearings.

And it's spelled AXLE
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

axel n. A jump in figure skating that is initiated from the outer forward edge of one skate, followed by one and one-half midair turns and a return to the outer backward edge of the other skate.
        2000 Grand Marquis LS
        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
        Mercury Owners Group member
        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
          axel n. A jump in figure skating that is initiated from the outer forward edge of one skate, followed by one and one-half midair turns and a return to the outer backward edge of the other skate.
          ...named for Norwegian figure skater Axel Paulsen, who invented the jump. Hence, the complete name of the jump being "Axel Paulsen".

Anyway, here's my little pictorial step-by-step from when I did the rear axle bearings on the '79 wagon:

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
          X