Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair axle bearings???????????

Hey guys
    Whats the deal with axle repair bearings. I took my rear end apart to replace the oil seals and noticed some wear on the axles. Are the repair bearings the way to go when there is alittle wear on the axles??? I cant afford to put new axles in the car so Im looking for the cheap fix for now. When I get to the auto parts store do I just ask for axle repair bearings for 89 CV. My rearend is a 3.08 open diff code y. When I removed the diff cover I did not find a bolt holding the diff tag it seams to be missing!!!! can I get the parts I need with out it????? Thanx PORK CHOP

Basically, the repair bearing just rides at a different (unworn) spot on the axle so that you can get some more use out of the original axles rather than having to buy new ones. You don't need the tag from the rear end-- just ask for the parts for an '89 Crown Vic with an 8.8" rear end.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

What he said. Basically when the axle shaft is worn you either use a repair bearing for $30 or replace the axle for like $150+. The axle bearings are the same no matter what gear ratio the car came with, and there was no other rear but the 8.8 on a 1989 model.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

when i tried to install my first repair bearing i drove it in as far as it wanted to go and it wasn't flush with the axle housing. i ended up busting it trying to force it further. when i went to reinstall a new one it went in to the same place as the first and stopped. i didn't force this one.
        since the bearing and seal are one piece on the repair bearing is this normal? it doesnt like much being flush and has been working great.
        s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
        "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
        "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
        ----outlaw josey wales
        (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

Working...
        X