collapsible steering column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

collapsible steering column?

I was wondering if my 82 LTD has a collapsible steering wheel column?? Just so i know how i will die if i get into a high speed front end collsion, lol.

If this is in the wrong section please move it.

Thanks

-Phil
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Hi Brown Muscle

You planning on crashing?

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

hahaha no definitly not, just curious. Although I really hope curiousity doesnt kill that cat in this case hehe
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Yes, it has a collapsable column.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Pretty much everything built since the '60s has had a collapsible column, hasn't it?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

good thats what i like to hear haha

thanks
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

well, yes and no. In theory, yes its collapsable. In reality, those shafts rust together so bad that it might not collapse before you do. When I pulled mine apart to do the steering box swap, we had it glowing red and had to beat the living crap out of it with a BFH to get the shafts apart.

Stupidly, that seizing problem could have been prevented by using a rubber bootie or something over the steering shaft sections to keep moisture out. If you're curious where it is, its the shaft area just above the steering box. If you look at it youi'll see the two different sizes where it slides together.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ah thanks, think if mines not too far gone some liquid wrench or equivalent might help the chances of it to collapse in an accident? hahaha, id like one of the few saftey features on my car to work, the seatbelts and the collapsible steering column.

Also is any part of the frame collapsible like all cars today? or is it solid as a rock like i'm pretty sure it is haha.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Your best bet for getting it to work would be to pull it all apart, clean off all the rust, lubricate it and put it back together. Then, like Thain said, do something to help prevent water from getting inside.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thain, the column itself inside the car is also collapsable. The slip shaft, external to the passenger compartment is for body on frame movement.

The rear frame fold up pretty easily. No "crush zones" like todays cars do.

The best safety feature is an attentive driver. And good brakes. Stock box panther brakes are not very good. Very difficult to threshold brake. Also, just making sure everything in the suspension is in good shape will help alot also. I haven't seen a box yet with good bushings.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I don't remember the exact year for sure, but everything after 1967 (or '68?) had to have a collapsible column by federal mandate.

Comment

Working...
                      X