Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Rear Gears Without Changing entire rear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Rear Gears Without Changing entire rear.

Hey all, I was in the junkyard the other day and I found two possible donors for a K code swap. an '86 Towncar Limo, and a '9X Towncar Limo. I was wondering if it was possible to just swap the innards of the rear without swapping the entire rear out. Would I be able to take the parts from the rear from the limo and put it in the rear of Vicky? For those of you who don't know, I have a 2.73 Open rear in Vicky. All help is appreciated.

I've not yet done it myself, but I thought it was just a matter of sliding the axles out and swapping the carrier and pinion? I know Gnate and a few others have done it at home.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

You'd want to slap new bearings on everything and change out the pinion races in the housing. It'd be about the same as putting a new ring and pinion on your current carrier. The biggest problem is that while all housings are the same in theory, they're slightly different in reality. In other words, the shims that make everything come out perfect in the original housing aren't necessarily going to be right in the new housing. You might get lucky, you might not. If not, as long as it's close, the worst you'll probably have is a little bit of a whine, which is common with used gears anyway.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

thanks for posting this! ive been meaning to get around to it...i hope somone can point us with some good directional how to...
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

This Forum is for discussion of EEC-related subjects.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yes its possible, but unless you know how to properly assemble and shim a rear, I wouldn't suggest it. Its not just a remove from one, stick into another sort of operation, or at least its not if you don't want the gears to make noise and possibly self-destruct.

Careful with the 90s Townie rears, those might be 31 spline. If they are, the carrier won't work.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ive done it before and got lucky. Left the pinion shims the same and shimmed the carrier cause I was lazy. It can be done. But I wouldnt do it. Again.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

damn, well looks like i wont be doing that! Thanks for the site and the info though,
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                X