Gearbox removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox removal question

How do i remove he steering gearbox from the steering shaft?
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

Originally posted by mikeroc283 View Post
    How do i remove he steering gearbox from the steering shaft?
    Hi Mikeroc283

Brute force and ignorance often works well

Undo the pinch bolt on the lower joint, drift a chisel into the gap in the joint to open it up a bit and slided the steering gear off the shaft.

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

how about a crowbar?
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

what do i use to take this off the gearbox?
        Attached Files
        2018 F150 XLT 43k
        1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Pitman arm puller.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Got the puller just need to know what size the bolt on the end of the arm is.
            2018 F150 XLT 43k
            1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

i think i used a 1 5/16 wrench, with a 1 1/8" wrench hooked onto it for leverage
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well i got the pitman arm off. Now i cant get the box from the shaft. and the bolt in between shaft and the joint wont come out. its a 12mm and its shit now because it wouldnt come apart even after putting the socket on and trying a 11mm. is there any way i can remove it now?
                2018 F150 XLT 43k
                1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Many ways. Acetylene torch, plasma cutter, die grinder, sawzall.....

Get a 15mm and 18mm wrenh and take the steering shaft apart (one single nut/bolt)and get the box out of the car. It will make the removal process easier.

I would suggest spending a few bucks on some craftsman professional adjustable wrenches. They are pretty nice and have the sizes etched into the wrench. Works great for measuring nuts and bolts.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Box is out. Was a star bolt pattern in middle of the shaft hook up to the box.
                    2018 F150 XLT 43k
                    1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroc283 View Post
                      Well i got the pitman arm off. Now i cant get the box from the shaft. and the bolt in between shaft and the joint wont come out. its a 12mm and its shit now because it wouldnt come apart even after putting the socket on and trying a 11mm. is there any way i can remove it now?
                      For future people who come across this post.... you need a 7/16 spline socket. It's not a 6pt or a 12pt bolt. It's a strange head on it and the spline socket fits perfectly on. I just took one out last night. Nothing else worked and would have rounded the shit out of it. Just trying to help out future readers.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

And then after you get the bolt out, use a tie rod fork to separate the box from the shaft. It makes quick work of it.

MIKE

Comment

get the slip joint slipping before you put it back together too. Those parts are supposed to move, but they've seized in the last 25 years. If it moves like it ought to, it goes together a heck of a lot easier. Usually you can soak a bunch of oil in there and drive the outer shaft off so you can wire brush the rust off the parts. If you heat it, you'll de-tension the spring that lives in there and you'll need to bend it back to keep the slop out of the two shafts where they slide together.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X