total suspention compression travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

total suspention compression travel?

i have a 1991 grand marquis and i'm wondering how far my suspention will compress in inches (like when hitting a massive bump for example). i'm looking to see the compression do determine soon to be bigger tire clearences.

thanks for the help with the noob questions, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

I don't know the figures, but if you look on the lower control arm, you'll find the bump stop. You may be able to use that to get your measurement.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you spelled suspension wrong.

as gadget mentioned,measure the distance to the bumpstiop .
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ha thanks, i'm kinda gone right now on pain meds with my gums torn apart and stitched up from wisdome teeth taken out... and they were down there deep... but i got some headway on the merc still even tho i can barely stand up.
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

you get under the car with a tape measure ... i will go get my elephant
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Bumpstop won't work. Wheel moves in an arc. Wheel moves farther than the arm at the bumpstop. How big of a tire do you want to run? And do you still have stock springs?
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
              Bumpstop won't work. Wheel moves in an arc. Wheel moves farther than the arm at the bumpstop.
              right, but its a place to start. If you know the distance from the bump stop to where it hits, the distance from the lower control arm pivot to the bump, and the distance from the lower control arm pivot to the lower ball joint, you can calculate it fairly easily. Its just a matter of plugging in the numbers properly and using a bit of math.

basically you need to calculate the ratio from bump to pivot and from lower ball to pivot. Use that number and multiply the travel at the bump stop and you have your travel.

example:
              travel at bump: 5 inch
              bump to pivot 9 inch
              wheel to pivot 16 inch

16/9 = 1.78
              1.78 * 9 = 16

so in theory the travel at the end of the lower control arm ought to be 16 based on those random plucked out of my ass numbers. This will only give you how far the ball joint moves, which should be pretty close to total wheel movement. I don't know the math to accomodate for the changing angle at the spindle as the suspension travels through its arc. The tire also will move outward as it goes through the arc so beware going with too fat of a tire, your wheel trim won't appreciate it.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm not that good at math gadget. And your fender trim does not appreciate it. Neither do your sidewalls.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Bah bah bah. To realy find out remove the spring so the suspension can be moved to its different positions. Might even wantto turn the wheels and check at full lock....or get the elephant I sugested earlier.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                    I'm not that good at math gadget. And your fender trim does not appreciate it. Neither do your sidewalls.
                    yeah I've ripped a sidewall out of my tires. Need to swap those 1 1/4 spacers to the back. Annoyingly it means grinding the bullshit out of my calipers but I'm tired of the scraping noises.

Comment

I'm thinking you have 34 inches of travel.

Oh, and Mikey, you spelled 'bumpstop' wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X