The shock debate....(and spring too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shock debate....(and spring too)

I've have come to the point with the wagon where I need to soften the ride. However, I still want to autox and not have to swap parts on race day, So, I need adjustables, or just some softer shocks that still are good enough for the abuse I dish out. Currently the fronts are Afco 1021's.

So, what I have narrowed it down to are:

Koni 8040-1018's for a camaro.
    -Adjustable, but have to be removed to adjust.
    -$104/ea from summit

QA1 Stocker stars
    -12 position adjustable by knob (rebound only)
    -$139/ea
    -Not sure if I can actually adjust them while installed due to spring

KYB Gas-A-Justs
    -NON-Adjustable
    -ride great with 925lb/in springs (have actually driven a car with them)
    -$40/ea

For the rear, I'm really wanting to run a straight rate spring. This is a lower priority than the frontend. I'm thinking 250'lb/in springs and shim the springs to the ride hieght I want. Then matching shocks to what I have on the front.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

I'm running koni adjustable's on the rear on mine. Stock wagon straight rate spring. Haven't got the cash to buy the front ones yet. I am extremely happy with em, but I bought mine at the junkyard. With 1 shock unhooked its almost as good as the factory shocks.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Thought you had AFCO 1020s on the wagon?
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What about the Pro Street Stock Shock.? That's what I am running, and I am happy with them. Nice and firm, but not harsh.
        Better than any "standard" shock I have ever used. The adjustable is only $63.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          What about the Pro Street Stock Shock.? That's what I am running, and I am happy with them. Nice and firm, but not harsh.
          Better than any "standard" shock I have ever used. The adjustable is only $63.

$75 at stockcarproducts for the adjustable....64 for the nonadj.

The pro shocks are listed as extra heavy, which is what I have (and too harsh)
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
          X