getting a nice rake in the rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting a nice rake in the rear?

well i'm 17 and have a box 91 and putting in 275/60/15's in the rear and i need to stiffin things up a little in the back and all around little better control.

i'm looking to raise the rear suspention 1" without including the added height from the bigger tire. So would sedan cargo coils add about 3/4"-1" to the height? and adding sensatrac shocks to all 4 corners also. Should i get shocks for the rear meant for a marquis... or f150?

thanks a ton guys, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

The CC 819 is the easy way to do it. Most do the F-150 shocks.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Hope you like replacing shocks yearly.

The combo above will do what you want. Although I might mention that grossly oversized tires and lifting the rear end isn't how you make a car handle better.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        Hope you like replacing shocks yearly.

The combo above will do what you want. Although I might mention that grossly oversized tires and lifting the rear end isn't how you make a car handle better.
        please listen to him. I put larger tires on and lifted the rear with cargo springs and...well...you could say........you just dont handle that well.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've got the 275/60/15's on the back, and the cargo coils, and for around town city driving, it's just as good as stock. Made my back tires stick better in the rain than the 235's ever did.
          Check your end links and mounting bushings on the front sway bar, those usually are trash, and are usually the first thing that gives you crappy handling. You can get poly replacements from energy suspension.
          And if you want to take your upgrades a step further, for not that much more money, find yourself a used rear swaybar, and upgrade the front springs to 925#. All is explained in the suspension/drivetrain faq sticky at the top of this forum.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Jacking up the rear does not make it handle better. Need to balance your mods. Those tires will tuck as is bone stock anyway. No real reason for a rake. I actually prefer the front about an inch taller than the rear.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

thanks, well i'm not looking to make this a civic like handling car, because its simply not the car to pick for handling anyways... i'm just looking for less bounce and meaner look/stance.
              And with a +6mm offset rim (closest i can get) there is some rubbing so i do need less sag in the rear.

How much do the sedan cargo springs raise the rear? .5"-1"?
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I'm not sure on the lift amount. Where are they rubbing at? And if you want less bounce stronger shocks are the way to go.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

ok i think i have found the set up i'm going to get...

-KYB shocks, not sure if gas-a-just or GR2 yet
                  -rear shocks will be 99 F150 2WD shocks
                  -wagon straight rate coils for the rear (1" lift aperently)

... is the gas-a-just to stiff? because i don't want to be losing my fillings when i hit a stone on the road, i just want a little stiffer, less bouncy but still comfortable ride.

Comment

few last Q's about coil springs...

OK, i have decided to go with this for my 91 box marquis:
                    -the CC819 wagon variable rate springs in the rear (200 rate) vs stock 107
                    -KYB Gas-a-just 99 F150 shocks to match the longer springs
                    -KYB gas-a-just "normal" marquis shocks for the front

my questions are
                    -what front springs will give me a matched stiffer but still smooth ride, and NOT change the front end ride height? I'm thinkin (500-700 rate). but i really want to keep the stock ride height. and looking for it to be able to be found in parts stores fairly easily also.

-and it seems that these shocks and springs can be easily swapped without spring compressors or special tools and skills?

Comment

The rears are easy, the front takes a little work.
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

you need a spring compressor to install the new front springs......the rears are fairly easy

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

for the fronts the only thing that will gie you "stock" ride hieght is stock springs. A 500-700lb spring will drop the car a few inches. A 900-1000lb/in sprig will give you a 3/4- 1" drop and won't ride as nice.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ok thanks, stock spring for the front then.

thanks guys, andy

Comment

Except police springs, which are 710lb and will lift the front of your car unless you cut them.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                              X