Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBS preparation 90% completed / Master cylinder info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS preparation 90% completed / Master cylinder info.

Ok, the BBS process on my 82 panther is almost done. (Gathering all the parts that is.) I have a bad master cylinder. Which year make model should I use when I buy a new one??? Should I Get one for the 1982? Or, for a 1998-2004 panther since the front BBS brake parts are all from a 1998-2004 panther? If I go with the 1982 master, then I know Ill be ok with the rear brakes. However, If I go with the 1998-2004, then How will it react with my rear drums? Please advise. Thanks.
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

I'd replace it with a stock one. It will bolt right in and work fine with the big brake parts. I'm running an original 1986 MC on my car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Stock one will work fine.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

stock master cylinder is fine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Perfect. Thank you
          sigpic

Comment

From my experience, if the master cylinder is leaking from the rear seal then usually the Brake booster is bad as well and either cause a huge vaccum leak or not work and give you a hard pedal.

long story short.... replace the master cylinder and Booster as a pair.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

In fact, it is leaking from the rear. Thats good advice and I will do just that. This brings me to another question. I have the giant booster that is an eye sore. Someone on this site installed a smaller booster that looker real nice. Can anyone advise? I would like to know what year/make and model booster and master to use for this set up.
              sigpic

Comment

I got it

turbo2256b did it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  From my experience, if the master cylinder is leaking from the rear seal then usually the Brake booster is bad as well and either cause a huge vaccum leak or not work and give you a hard pedal.

long story short.... replace the master cylinder and Booster as a pair.
                  x2

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Will I be able to do what he did???
                    sigpic

Comment

dunno, see what he did. I think Freshmeat also did a later model booster and MC setup. Not entirely sure whats involved. The newer ones are smaller diameter, but they are thicker so I'm not sure how less visible they are. Also, the lines are routed different, so you'll need to make up some new lines from the prop valve to the MC.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks mang
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X