rear axle bolts being a pain in the ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear axle bolts being a pain in the ass

So i started working on my spare rear axle tonight. Its a 8.8 with 3.55 posi. But I got it a carsile like almost four years ago... two years it sat indoors (last) two out side kinda covered but both lower and upper control arms were just torched off and I am having a hell of a time trying to get the bolts off the axle so i can paint it and put into the vic. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get these off without breaking my back or having to use a torch.
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Cheater pipe. Slip the pipe over your breaker bar making it longer.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

like all bolts, penetrating oil and time to sit and pentrate...
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

1. Let bolts soak in PB blaster overnight.
        2. Apply heat
        3. Use Cheater pipe
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          1. Let bolts soak in PB blaster overnight.
          For several nights in a row. You can also try applying step #2 every night before you spray the new penetrating oil.

Comment

pb blaster
            heat
            impact gun

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

All of the above. The heat always helps with things.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

REALLY POWERFUL impact gun (no Campbell Hasselhoff crap, your breaker bar makes more torque than one of those)
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                X