balanced drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

balanced drums?

for the past 2 days a guy has been coming into my napa with his 1980's something merc colony park wagon

he wanted a new set of rear drums along with everything for doing the brakes

he came back the next day saying that after he put the drums on there was a vibration at highway speeds out back. i noticed there was a weight welded to his old drums but the new drums were without such weight. the new ones were also lighter.

any ideas?
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Find a way to bolt a brake drum to a wheel balancer?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well, yes in theory any rotating mass needs to be balanced to ensure it doesn't do that. In reality, the closer to the center of the axle, the less it actually matters. The other thing, the liklihood of finding someone who can or will actually balance a set of drums would be an adventure in and of itself. Don't know what to suggest other than turning the original drums to resurface and put them back to round.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X