BIG BRAKE SWAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low gloss black spray paint.
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Comment

yea you must loosen all four tie rod clamps and adjust the toe out via the sleeves.....get it close so you can get it to an alignment shop

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Here is what has me worried. The camber and the caster can now be adjusted by the upper control arm to frame mounting bolts like the older cars. It can also be adjusted by the upper ball joint nuts. So what year, make, and model do I tell the alignment shop to use in order to align my car? I was going to keep it simple by telling them to use a 1992-1994 Ford Crown Vic. I chose 92-94 because of the upper control arms. Those vehicle had the adjustments on both, the upper arm to bolt frame and the upper ball joint. I dont want to have to explain the whole history of the vehicle body, the panther chassis, and all the different front end parts. I just want to tell them to set the alignment as if it was a particual year, make, and model. Most alignment guys in my area are retards. I set the control arm to frame bolts right in the center of those holes. I would prefer they use the upper ball joints to make their adjustments. Please advise. Thanks
        sigpic

Comment

tell them your situation. request that they use the upper ball joints to make adjustments, unless the readings are radically out of spec and then they may use the control arm bolts. correct me if im wrong but you will still want the specs to match up the year of your car.....
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
          1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
          http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

I had mine set to 86 Towncar specs. Tried other settings and it drove all stupidly. Feels normal with stock settings.

I seem to recall the 92-94 manual saying to do with those upper arms was center them in the slots, and do all adjustment at the upper ball joint cams. I could be wrong on the position of the arm in the slots, but I know it says to adjust it with the upper ball joint.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my car is an 82 ltd country squire (chassis.) I was going to have them use the setting for a 92-94 crown vic so they would adjust it by the upper ball joints only. I fear that if I tell them to use the 82 ltd setting they will make the adjustments via the contol arm bolts. what do you guys advise. The 86 town car idea sounds good because its working for gadget and Its been done.
              sigpic

Comment

Well, the reason I told them 86 Towncar is because its what I drive. I'd have your car set to 82 LTD specs. Its probably the same spec, but who knows. The big trick is finding a good alignment place. If you have a guy who knows his stuff, and you can explain what you've done and what needs to be adjusted, they'll take care of it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ooohh, makes perfect sense. I'll have them set it to the 82 LTD specs. however, I tell him to use the upper ball joints only as if it were a 94-94 crown vic. thanks gadget.
                  sigpic

Comment

optimal settings should be for a 96-2002 panther chassis.

-.5 degrees to -1.0 degrees camber
                    toe set at 0
                    and as much positive caster as possible with out a 5/10 split.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

A good alignment guy should understand that correct??? Thanks for the info.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                        A good alignment guy should understand that correct??? Thanks for the info.
                        A good one should. Good luck finding one though.

Comment

I tried newer specs, the car drove like shit. Your results may vary, but I was not at all pleased with it. Mind you this was the same place that left my upper control arm loose, and split the caster the wrong way but I was just not happy with the feel of the car.

Comment

DONE DONE DONE!!!!

Ok, BBS is done. This thing drives exactly how I want it to. I never expected this project to go as well as it did. The funny thing is, I was in a hurry to get it back on the road, so I pulled two old aluminum 16inch rims with ok tires from the junk yard. I eye balled the alignment and took her for a spin. Remember, this includes the same old loose as a goose rear end suspension. I can't wait to see how she drives with new rims, tires, steering components, and alignment. After I finish my small steering project, Im moving on the the rear end.
                            sigpic

Comment

My front rims were 15's with 225/70/15 tires. I HATED them. They reminded me of wagon wheels. These rims I pulled just so happened to have 225/60/16 tires on them and they look nice. I like their stance. Im going to stick with 16's in the front, but Im going to use 235/55/16 tires. This wil be a part of my next project.
                              sigpic

Comment

Can anyone advise what my bolt pattern is. I cant find a thread on this site with the correct info. Archives yielded nothing. Is it 5 x 4.5 ????
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X