X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do bad wheel bearings sound like?

??
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

They kind of have a low rumble. I just went through this on my 03 Sport. The drivers side was toast and also the axle shaft.

Are you hearing this more from the front or the back?

Jay
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Possibly also a clickety clickety. Just make sure you're not hearing rocks in the tires first.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

fronts will hum and whine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If its just one side, you'll usually hear the sound change when you turn. Might hear it change sides if both are worn. Bearings are fairly cheap, might be worth it to just swap them out if they are original, and its definitely worth at least a re-pack if you haven't done that.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

EEERRGHgherrrERRGGHERrrgggerERRRGGHGHGGHGHerrrgghg hGHERRRGHGHGHHG

Comment

Do you experience any vibration through the steering wheel?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                Do you experience any vibration through the steering wheel?
                Negative. Based on what's been said, I don't think it's a wheel bearing, but it's not a rock in the tread or anything. It sounds like a squeak, but not a dry ball joint kind of squeak - and it doesn't happen with the rise/fall of the car, happens/speeds up/slows down with the revolution of the tires. I'm having it over to my mechanics house tomorrow for the bucking issue so I'll see what he says after he takes it for a spin.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

U joints??? When you mean revolution of the tires you mean while you are driving it right? Not just spinning them in your driveway.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

that sounds like U joints. Fix that real quick or you may find the car pole-vaulting itself when the joints come apart and drop the driveshaft on the road.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That was actually on mythbusters. boy that caused the entire rear end to be smashed up into the trunk iirc.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The more that I listen to it, it's kind of a click (still don't think it's a rock in the tread, I've had enough of them to know that sound) as well...it's a weird sound indeed. And yes, when I'm driving it. Haven't tried just spinning the wheel on a jack or jackstand yet... but it only comes from the PS side and sounds to be the rear.

I don't even know what a U-joint is. I didn't get to go to my mechanics place today but will tomorrow after work, and I will get it fixed asap.
                        Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, now that I know what a U-joint is, I'm going to replace it anyway. Probably would not hurt on an old car. Most expensive one on RockAuto is a hair over 20 dollars. What are the differences between them? I see ones for police cars & towing package cars, and there are ones for rear axles and ones for transmissions..do we have one of each or something? n00b questions here, I apologize..
                          sigpic

Comment

There are 2 U joints, one at the front and one at the rear of the driveshaft, replace both of them. The sizing on the joints may be different for tow vs non-tow cars. I know it is on Towncars. Order the ones for your car. They should both be the same, but its vaguely possible that for some unknown reason they have 2 different ones on the 90. Might want to just go to a local parts store, usually they are not very expensive. Try and get ones with grease fittings if possible.

Comment

thanks. I'm gonna go to the parts store tomorrow after work and probably pick them up if they're in stock..and if not drive to one where they are. Going to go to mechanic after this as well. Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll have an answer to this noise and my bucking (possibly misfiring, possibly slipping trans) woes.

Also, looked in the work orders I got with the car..ball joints are new as of last year so that's one less possibility (didn't think it sounded like that anyway)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X