Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one diagnose a parking brake problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does one diagnose a parking brake problem?

My parking brake doesn't like to do anything....the pedal just goes down and comes back as if the brakes are coming off, but the P brake doesn't do anything.. As I understand it, there aren't a lot of possible reasons as to why it won't work.

It hasn't been and isn't really a big issue since I rarely use the parking brake (don't really need to park anywhere hilly ever) but it would be nice to be able to take an afternoon this weekend and mend something.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Mines the same way. You have the push to set, push to release type right?
    I can get mine to catch though. Usually have to have it in park for whatever reason. Probably has something to do with the automatic release for when you put it in drive. Interestingly, it doesn't release in reverse (you'd think it would). Also noticed I have to push fairly straight (as in not at an angle) with my foot to set it.

I actually like this....quirky as it is.....and here's why:
    I have an open diff.....I'll have the option of hitting (breifly jabbing) just the rear brakes to stop a (single) wheel from spinning. Especially handy if your stuck (or about to be) in the driveway.

Course I suppose you could also throw it in nuetral and play around too.........
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

No, it won't set unless its in park, and yes its because of the automatic release thing.

If there is no resistance at all and it doesn't even try to slow the car, check your cables. If one is broken, it won't set or work. Theres a point underneath, right about under the driver's seat where the front cable connects to the two rear cables. Some pulling there should tell you which one is broken, if thats the case.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As Thain said, these cars have auto-release system that allows you to simply put your car in drive and not to worry about remembering to release the e-brake. There is a vacuum switch in that system, that lives at the bottom of the steering column, and there is also a vacuum servo on the e-brake pedal - switch applies vacuum to servo when car is in drive, thus releasing the e-brake. Switches get worn out and leaky with age and mileage on vehicle, and they may end up applying vacuum to the servo all the time, resulting in the e-brake not staying engaged while the engine is running, regardless of which gear the transmission is in - to check for that simply pull the vacuum hose off the servo at the e-brake pedal, the pedal should now be able to stay down until you manually release it with the handle above it.

If pedal goes down and stays down like it should, but the rear wheel physically do not lock (you can still roll the car around with the e-brake set all the way down), then you got an issue with either the cables, or the mechanisms behind the drums, and you'll have to get under car and.or remove wheels to investigate.

Comment

the pedal should now be able to stay down until you manually release it with the handle above it.
          Does the 90' model even have a release handle? My 81' did, but my 91' doesn't. That's what I was talking about in my other post. You push the pedal a 2nd time to release it. I thought it was kind of weird. I didn't even think about cable failure, I was thinking he couldn't get the e-brake pedal to stay down. I figured that was part of that re-design they did on the 90-91 models (like with the floor).
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

90 and 91 have the pump to release setup. No release handle.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, that bullshit, I hate that dumb design, it sucks big time!

Comment

Originally posted by John Deere Green View Post
                Oh, that bullshit, I hate that dumb design, it sucks big time!
                I concur. Strangely enough, my parking brake seems to work fine now - It's entirely possible I tried to engage it in a gear where it wouldn't let me due to vacuum pressure (or lack thereof?), which I didn't know about until this thread. I'm used to putting a car in neutral, engaging the brake, then putting it in park. I am thinking this isn't the right procedure for these boats.

Thanks again, guys. You'd be getting some positive rep if I didn't have to "spread it around" first
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Parking brake release prevents the parking brake from locking in place when the transmission is in any forward gear. You can press it, but it will pop right back out. I don't believe it will pop out while in neutral.

Standard procedure for me is: Foot on service brake, transmission into park, apply parking brake, remove foot from service brake. This prevents the park pawl from being loaded before you apply the parking brake.

Bottom line:
                  Put the trans in park and then try to apply. If this doesn't work, then you have problems.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Maybe I didn't have the transmission fully disengaged and it was still in OD or something. Either way, my stupid foot-release parking brake works!
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, for quite some time I had my e-brake disconnect servo hooked up to direct manifold vacuum, so the e-brake would pop back regardless of what gear the trans was. Made for some fun in the snow

Comment

sounds like it would've been quite some fun. as it 4200 pounds worth of car wasn't hard enough to do ANYTHING with in the snow
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          sounds like it would've been quite some fun. as it 4200 pounds worth of car wasn't hard enough to do ANYTHING with in the snow
                          Panthers rock in the snow. I had such fun last year when we got waaay more snow than we ever get in the Portland area. Limited slip is a must, though. And I had studs on the back tires. It rocked.
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

When I got my Towncar, the guy I got it from told me it was awful in the snow. He came from driving a Fiero, so I guess by comparison it did suck. I came from driving an S10, so to me it was incredible in the white. I still have no problems driving it, and I can definitely say its a lot easier to get around in than either the Mark VII or the S10 are.

Comment

Working...
                            X