84 Finally let me down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 Finally let me down

I knew it might happen sometime the 84 let me down a couple of days ago.
    Long story short I was driving home from an errand and sure enough I smelt brakes. Both front brakes where dragging. Got help from a friend and drained the fluid from the front brakes and master cylinder for the front. Drove home with just rear brakes. Have a new master cylinder and new fluid just havent had time to work on it. Anyone else ever have this happen to the front brakes?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

No. Not yet at least. Problems could very well be due to the calipers though and not your master cylinder. Depending how fucked everything got during the endeavor your rotors and pads my need to be changed as well. Hell the rotors could have warped from the heat.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say .... if floating calipers get seized on their pins somehow, that could well lead to excessive dragging. Unless it was definitely due to the pistons not retracting?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Every time I've seen that its been seized calipers or failed hoses.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well installed the new master cylinder, added new fluid and bled the system. Everything working fine now.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Yeah, I was going to say .... if floating calipers get seized on their pins somehow, that could well lead to excessive dragging. Unless it was definitely due to the pistons not retracting?
            It was due to the pistons not retracting, when we bled the front brakes down they released and I was able to drive home after removing all fluid for the front breaks. I had the front calipers and rear cylinders replaced about 3-4 years ago. I stopped driving before any damaged occured to other components. The pads luckily didnt glaze. rotors are fine.

Comment

Working...
            X