Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can A 92+ Rear Sway Bar Be Modified To Fit On A Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can A 92+ Rear Sway Bar Be Modified To Fit On A Box?

I was wondering, when I swap to the rear disc end with the sway bar mounts, could the later rear sway be used in the back if the holes were drilled in the right locations for the endlinks?

Im not sure if the rear end is wider ( I think it is in the later models) It would be easier to sell that one and pick up an addco rear bar or a PI bar. The only way to shorten it it to cut and weld it, unless it isn't much I suppose you could bend it but probably would weaken it or something.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Yeh, but the yard I visited didn't have any police boxes or at least any box panters with the sway bar still intact. There were a few police vics I had my eyes on though, besides I think the newer sway bars were better at controling body roll???

And yeah they are wider. That's one of the reasons I want, and IIRC till 1997 all panthers used the same 4 link setup so I think I'll be fine on that part.

Comment

You can buy an aftermarket sway bar for a box if you want a new one. Im just not sure if modifying would be worth it is all. Maybe someone else here has done it though.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If the metal is there in the same spot, and all you have to do is drill the hole, theres no reason why it wouldn't work. If theres no metal plate, you'd have to weld one in. Otherwise, no big deal.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gonna take some pics tomorrow.

Comment

yeah I was looking at random frame pictures and I see that plate that the endlinks attached to. I was wondering if my box had that but I think I can make it work.

this is what mine looks like.

Comment

So the 92 did work on a box? That is interesting and a good bit of knowledge to know.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Boxes don't use endlinks; the rear bars bolt directly to the control arms like in that pic. If your '92 bar is what I'm thinking of, you'll definitely have to add mounting provisions for both the bushings and endlinks.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Why does it look like that picture has the control arm mounted bar that 80s models use?

The 92 bar has bushings on the axle tube, and endlinks to mount it to the body. Basically its exactly the opposite of how the front bar is set up.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's the box bar on the box car. I posted the pic to point out were the later bars mount to the frame.

Comment

I see.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If you currently have the correct bar, whats the reason for changing it? Is that the smaller box bar or something? Just curious.

Comment

I wanted a bigger bar in the rear but in the yard I had visited they had a bunch of whale vics so I was interested in knowing if a 92+ sway bar could fit, with the later rear end to mount the bar of course. I knew the latter bars attached via endlinks I just didn't know where till I did some searching. By the 7th post I had found out thought. I think that's where you guys lost me. yes that's the smaller box bar. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Gotcha. I understood what you were after, but I got confused when I saw you already had a rear bar. Understand wanting the larger one.

Comment

Working...
                              X