rear axle ratio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear axle ratio question

Hey guys, the sticker on my door is unreadable, and I could not find a tag on my axle. On the build sheet under rear axle tag number is printed out 014A. It is defininetly an open axle and I am sure it is original. My service manual was no help. Does anyone know what ratio it would be?
    sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Why is your sticker unreliable?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

If it is bone stock, no sway bar or heavy duty stuff, I would guess 2.73. I think that's what most of them have. But I have been wrong before!
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

When I went junkyard shopping for my axle I found that almost all boxes had a 3.08 unless it was set up with the towing package, then 3.55's. 3.27's were rare, as were 2.73's. I'd love to compare build sheets wid youse, but I AIN'T GOT ONE!!
        '84 Grand Marquis
        Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

ps. It's pretty easy to calculate your rear end gear. Jack up one wheel. Slide underneath and put a piece of masking tape on the rear u-joint in such a way that you can tell when the drive shaft makes one revolution. Now, put the car in neutral (block a front tire!!!) and spin the tire off the ground by hand 5 times while counting how many times the driveshaft rotates. Almost 31 times? 3.08. Almost 33 times? 3.27. A little over 27 times? 2.73.
          You don' need no stinkin' tag!!!!!
          '84 Grand Marquis
          Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

I've got 2.73 open in both of my panthers. Probably the "flat land" setup since I'm in Texas and both cars were originally shipped to Texas for sale as far as I can tell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
              Why is your sticker unreliable?
              unREADable..LOL and thus unreliable. Looks like moisture got to it and it peeled the top layer off.........
              sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

keep in mind a worn out LSD can pretend to be an open diff
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  I've got 2.73 open in both of my panthers. Probably the "flat land" setup since I'm in Texas and both cars were originally shipped to Texas for sale as far as I can tell.
                  Sucks ass on the hills in NH. That will soon be remedied with some 3.73's
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

UPDATE duh

So I guess I need new reading glasses worse than I thought! I went back to the '86 service manual and looked through all the rear axle section and found 2 charts. First is for open diff

ID TAG Ratio
                    039A 2.73
                    422E 3.08
                    033A 3.08
                    014A 3.27
                    012A 2.73
                    014A 3.08

Cool my 014A could be either a 3.08 OR a 3.27!!!!

Locking diff

ID TAG Ratio
                    013A 2.73
                    015A 3.08
                    034A 3.08
                    201A 2.73
                    203F 3.08
                    205F 3.27
                    421E 3.27
                    423E 3.08

I can understand having more than one code for a specific ratio, but having the same code for 2 different ratios? dang engineers I am back to the drawing board.

Comment

theres a metal tag with the gear ratio on one of the rear axle cover bolts......prob a 3.08 open......most common

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My Vic doesnt have any excessive options and I have a 3.27 open. I am pretty sure the buyer of the car could specify what gearing they wanted.
                        -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                        -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

My car has the plain jane 3.08 open rear end - If I found another Panther rear end, would it be worth it to swap it out for either a) 3.08 locking diff or b) an open diff with higher gears?
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            If I found another Panther rear end, would it be worth it to swap it out for either a) 3.08 locking diff or b) an open diff with higher gears?
                            Just swap the gears themselves or make yours a trac-lok. You can get the kit from Summit for pretty cheap clicky they also have 31 spline, I forgot which ones our Vics use.
                            -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                            -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

28 spline

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X