Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about brake upgrades....

Another dumb question....

What is the smallest diameter wheel you can run with the 98-02 brake upgrades? 15" or 16"? And what is with the PBR caliper upgrade? Does it work with the 98-02 stuff, or earlier models?

As for why I'm asking....I forgot.

16" for the 98-02 brakes.......and not all 16's......i had to grind on my calipers to get the 88-89 lsc wheels to fit with 1" spacers

pbr caliper upgrade?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      pbr caliper upgrade?

Yes, I recall you mentioning that they fit some way or another. Enlighten me again, please.

Comment

no was not me........the 98-02 front calipers are more than adequate and they dont cost alot either......looking for weight savings?......just ordered a pr of 99-04 sn95 calipers for a mk7 brake upgrade.....they are aluminum, but the pistons are a little smaller......might be possible to bolt some cobra calipers.....the 98-02 rotor is 12.2".......the cobra rotor is 13"..........order one of each in at work and compare

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          no was not me........the 98-02 front calipers are more than adequate and they dont cost alot either......looking for weight savings?......just ordered a pr of 99-04 sn95 calipers for a mk7 brake upgrade.....they are aluminum, but the pistons are a little smaller......might be possible to bolt some cobra calipers.....the 98-02 rotor is 12.2".......the cobra rotor is 13"..........order one of each in at work and compare
          If the 98-02 brakes are adequate, then that's all I need to know.

Comment

it's a great setup with the dual piston calipers.......i cant wait to feel the results on the lincoln mark vii.......it's been done before on those cars but not by anyone i or my local club friends have ever driven.......i even found posts by you that were around 5 yrs old asking questions about the brake conversion lol

Comment

pbr calipers are from 99-04 mustang gt's

Anyway I've been wondering somthing similar to this for a while.

If the newer brakes 92-02 use a seperate hub and rotor like the 94-04 mustangs use and they are the same bolt pattern. Is it possible to use mustang rotors on a panther? And calipers with a custom bracket of course. But are the rotors interchangable?

If so and in theory on the rear end also since they are all 8.8's couldnt you just get a big brake kit for a mustang and modify it for a panther?

Just curious lol

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

i have a pair of 99-04 mustang gt calipers here that i am putting on a lincoln mark vii.......they are aluminum, but smaller in size than the 98-02 panther calipers

Comment

So if I am following, if you have the "aero" vic brake upgrade, you can buy the 13" cobra calipers and rotors and they will fit? Or did I misunderstand?
                  Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerbeans View Post
                    So if I am following, if you have the "aero" vic brake upgrade, you can buy the 13" cobra calipers and rotors and they will fit? Or did I misunderstand?
                    I don't believe its been proven to work, its speculation at this point,. The 98-02 rotors are not that much smaller than the Cobra brakes though. 12.2" vs 13". If you want to try out the Cobra stuff, that would be pretty cool to find out it works.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I took a quick look at Autozone, because they show measurements on the rotors and compared '98 Vic and '98 Cobra. The hub inner hole diameter is 71.7mm versus 71.1mm, so thats easily "grindable". They figures were blurry on the Cobra's, but from what I can tell the depth of the "hat" is shallower on the Cobra, so maybe the Cobra caliper would make up the difference. I haven't done the "aero" swap yet, but when I get it completed I would be up to going to AZ and buying the stock Cobra parts to find out if they will fit. Cobra brakes are awesome looking and bigger, and I am pretty sure if my stuff didn't fit, AZ would take it back, or ebay it. Overall I think it would be worth the trouble. However it maybe quite awhile before I get that far. Maybe this spring?
                      Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                        If so and in theory on the rear end also since they are all 8.8's couldnt you just get a big brake kit for a mustang and modify it for a panther?
                        Checking at Wilwood's website, all of their rear big brake kits are specified by rear end end, not car. So in theory yes a Big Brake kit fir an 8.8 rear end would bolt up to a panther,

hmm that might be worth trying. Maybe if someone knows someone with cobra brakes they could ask for the cores when they replace them to see if they could be made to work? I would do it myself but I still haven't done the brake swap yet.

EDIT: Just another note, if you really wanted the effects of the cobra brakes, wouldn't you have to have the master cylinder as well? That I don't know if it would work
                        Last edited by hemihotrod402; 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM.
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Sorry for all of this, this really sparked my interest.

Could you run cobra calipers with the 98-02 CV rotor? The calipers themselves are 400/pr from Ford Racing, but I would imagine you could find them cheaper through somewhere like Rockauto.
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

If they bolt up to the 98-02 caliper bracket, or if they bolt up to the spindle and have the proper offset relative to the rotor. If they're sucked too far in, then the pads just won't fit over the disc. I also imagine that since those are expected to run on a larger diameter rotor, you may find that the outer portion of the pads doesn't actually contact the disc, which could be a problem. You'd end up with a "ledge" in your friction material where it doesn't ever meet the flat face of the rotor.

Other than the disc size, whats the gain on the Cobra rotor, are the pistons bigger or something? I've never really looked at them from a technical perspective. If the pistons aren't bigger, you're not getting any more clamping force. Larger pad contact area is cool, but if you don't have a rotor large enough to make contact with the whole pad, you're not gaining anything there either. It would be like fitting 98-02 calipers on a box with stock rotors.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X