'91 Needs Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 Needs Shocks

Okay, apparently, when my Dad's car was in the shop, I let him drive one of my cars. He claimed the brakes locked up (poss. R front) and the car was all over the road.

Took it to the mechanic for oil change/check out and when he put it up on the lift, the rear spring fell out... so yeah. New springs on the rear.

I'm told the car needs new shocks.

Price is a factor, but I want the best damned handling I can afford. I also like the idea of a respectable rake.

Should I go GR-2's all around or put those on the front and some Gabriel Hi-Jackers on the rear?

Stock old and Stock new springs on front and rear respectively, of course. Planning on DIYing it. Looked at a bunch of threads on here, but didn't see a 'how to.'

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

The rear spring falling out is usually not caused by a bad spring. The only thing the back springs do when they need replacing is let the ass end sag. Really dead shocks or broken shocks will let the axle hang too low, which will let the springs fall out though.

Sounds like you have front end problems. Since few people check the front end out correctly (hint, you cannot do this on a lift that doesn't pick a car up by the suspension) I'd be checking for worn out ball joints, dead tie rod ends, and a dead idler arm. Shocks make the car bounce, but they do not screw with the steering. They also will not give you any rake or ride height change.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
      I'm told the car needs new shocks.

Price is a factor, but I want the best damned handling I can afford. I also like the idea of a respectable rake.

Should I go GR-2's all around or put those on the front and some Gabriel Hi-Jackers on the rear?
      I'd go with KYB Gas-a-just in the 'Police/Taxi' version.

Comment

when I put the gabriel ultra (gas filled shocks) on my vic... it raised the ride height by about half an inch. the air dam stopped scraping on the curb in the parking lot. Those shocks seem to have about a 30-40 pound push to them. took some effort to get them pushed in when I put them on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The rear was sitting really low, now it has a slight rake to it w/stock rear spring replacement, but I gotta get the new shocks this next pay when I'll be able to afford them.

Has a new tie-rod end, my mechanic is awesome about telling you if you can let things go & fix them later. I guess the spring was broken and fell out when he put it on the lift. Had an alignment too, so all the parts should be good up front.

I gotta go see about a Alternator for my '88 Country Squire soonest, too.

Doing an online search, it's looking like Gabriel Ultra shocks are $23 ea. @ Autozone, and KYB GR-2 gas PI replacement shocks are $27.39 (cheaper than civilian GR-2s? @ $28.69 Advance Auto).

So which are better, PI OEM KYBs or the Gabriel Ultra?
          Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
            I'd go with KYB Gas-a-just in the 'Police/Taxi' version.
            Are the Gas-a-justs worth around double the price of the regular KYB Gas GR-2s? I mean, I might be able to swing it, but I don't anticipate adjusting them much, don't know how to do so or how much handling benefit I'll gain from adjusting them.
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I've been very happy with the gr-2s in the police version. The gr-2's will do you just fine if you're on a budget.

<off topic>
              As far as the alternator in your country squire is concerned, you're wasting your money if you're not doing a 3g upgrade. PM me if you've got questions about it; I can definitely tell you how to do it on the cheap.
              </off topic>
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                Are the Gas-a-justs worth around double the price of the regular KYB Gas GR-2s? I mean, I might be able to swing it, but I don't anticipate adjusting them much, don't know how to do so or how much handling benefit I'll gain from adjusting them.
                You don't 'adjust' them, lol.

Where are you buying them from? summitracing.com?

Comment

as I understand it the gas-a-just name comes from the fact that they adjust themselves as needed based on use.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i worked at meineke a few years back in the 90's the shocks we carried were made by gabriel.......they were pretty decent.......2004 when i pulled the 6 yr old gabriels off my towny they were still decent......the cop car gr2's are a bit stiffer, so worth the few extra bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I didn't even check Summit, and I was just up that way buying a Video card from a dude who had it up on Craigslist. I have AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Napa Stores, even an independent local shop to shop at here near Canton OH. Heck, there's even a new O'Reilly's but after checking their online prices--F-them!

I have to see what I have left over from my next paycheque, may have to put off the shock purchases and get the Alternator for the Country Squire as that is the only one of my 3 cars with currently working A/C.

I guess for now, I'm gonna go KYB GR2s (non-Gas-Adjust) when I can afford them. I was surprised that the Police/Taxi versions are cheaper than the civilian spec! $27.39 v. $28.69-civvie.

Well, I can always buy the Gas-Adjust later and put one of the new sets on the Country Squire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        i worked at meineke a few years back in the 90's the shocks we carried were made by gabriel.......they were pretty decent.......2004 when i pulled the 6 yr old gabriels off my towny they were still decent......the cop car gr2's are a bit stiffer, so worth the few extra bucks

What year cop car GR2s?
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

If you want some rake you could get stationwagon rear springs at a junk yard if you have one where your at? mines cost $20 for both of them an grab some cheap shocks like the fellas above mentioned =)
                          1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
                          1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
                          1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
                          1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            What year cop car GR2s?
                            just get a set for your year car. They interchange 79-2002, but no need to make it more confusing.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was looking on Summit Racing, and it seems there is no GR-2 Gas A Just Police Version. The GR2s come in PI & non-PI flavors, in fact, the PI version is cheaper than the OEM stock replacements on AdvanceAutoParts.com, there's also a discount code for 15% off, but if I can afford them I'll go Gas-A-Just from Summit where they are cheaper. I've been too lazy to check model no.s to see whether summit or AA is the way to go.

http://www.buxr.com/coupons/advance-auto-parts

Comment

Working...
                              X