No announcement yet.

lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are special sockets that are hammered onto the lugnut that will grip enough to. Remove them, does anyone in your shop have a set you can borrow?Maybe Advance Auto or someplace like that has a loner (doubtful due to liability)A local tire shop perhaps?Good luck. You probably find the key after you get them off (grin).

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I lucked out once finding a local tire shop who removed some wheel locks for me for free. Said they didn't want to bother billing me for like 2 minutes.

I'd tried to get my hands on lugnut removal sockets through the AZ rental program, but no dice.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Lugnuts: Cone Seat vs Bulge Cone Seat?

After much procrastination, I'm going to go with McGard.

However, in 1/2-20 they have two variants. Cone Seat (part # 64000 for a pack of 4) and Bulge Cone Seat (part # 64010 for a pack of 4).

Cone Seat:

Bulge Cone Seat:

The picture, angle, and shininess make it a little hard to see what it really looks like - saw them at a local Pep Boys and was wondering.... Is there an advantage to going with the bulge cone seat? They do cost more, but not counting cost, why should I choose one over the other?

Thanks.
        Last edited by King_V; 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM.
        1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
        Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
        Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
        Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

There are pros and cons to both.
          The cone seat is plated and can corrode with time.
          The bulge cone seat has a stainless steel covering. This won't rust, but it can corrode underneath and cause the lug nut to... *ahem*... "bulge" to the point the socket won't fit over the nut.

The people who own show cars remove lug nuts with sockets that have a plastic layer inside, so as not to mar the lug nut.

Comment

Working...
          X