No announcement yet.

ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some ABS systems blow. Never driven a panther with ABS and had it kick on, so I have no idea if the Panther ABS sucks, but the system on my S10 did indeed suck.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      some ABS systems blow. Never driven a panther with ABS and had it kick on, so I have no idea if the Panther ABS sucks, but the system on my S10 did indeed suck.
      The ABS in the '94 Vic I have yet to trigger, except for right after bleeding brakes. I purposely tried to lock them up. Well there was this other time when it was raining and a cat decided to cross the street while I was going 45mph. The ABS kicked in and the car just stopped. When I want the car to stop, I want to just put my foot on the brake pedal and hold it there. I don't want to be pumping that shit.

Anyway. Back to updates. I installed the ABS harness today. I took off the header panel to route it the way I wanted. It's probably not necessary but that's how I did it. I will post pics later when I finish the fusebox. I'd finish it now, but I'm running low on supplies (solder, electrical tape, wire loom), and it's 12:26am now. So there aren't any places locally open. I can't drive the car as is. Fuse box isn't completely wired in to harness.

I also had a 'shop' supervisor come check on my work towards the end of the night.

Comment

This is a great project. I personally believe ABS is a fantastic thing, and woulnd't want to be without it on a daily driver. On wet day it can be the difference between stopping straight and true or ending up sliding into the back of someone.

As for ABS in newer Panthers, it seems to work well for me. I've had it engage on my Grandfather's 04.

@ Gadget: My S10 has only engaged the ABS one time on me since I had it and it was in the snow. It certainly doesn't lock up the brakes easily.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I've used it a few times in the wet in my little brother's 01 CV. Works exactly the way it ought to. I see four brake lines coming out of the ABS block, so I assume it modulates all four wheels independently. Jam on the brakes and that bastard just stops.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
            I've used it a few times in the wet in my little brother's 01 CV. Works exactly the way it ought to. I see four brake lines coming out of the ABS block, so I assume it modulates all four wheels independently. Jam on the brakes and that bastard just stops.
            That is correct.

I'm currently uploading pics. The fusebox is wired in.

Comment

The wiring was extended, taped up, and wrapped in wire loom and fed through the fender. It's still a little rough towards the back, but it's an improvement. The wiring was a little long on the ABS side going into the fusebox. So I didn't want to cut it, but the best thing would be to shorten it for everything to sit cleanly. But unless you're looking to the left of the battery, you're not seeing anything.

The fuse box is hooked up for what positions I needed to replace the fuse links. I also relayed the blower motor. It's one less draw through the ignition switch.
              Attached Files

Comment

The ABS on my 92 was absolutely awful. Even with good tires in the winter no matter how slowly you crept up to a stop it would kick in. And of course that just causes you to skid along the top of the snow instead of actually digging down and getting some traction. Sucked. Even worse was the Traction Assist. What a joke that was.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You do realize that ABS and snow do not mix right as with gravel and sand? ABS is more for wet/dry pavement, this is because deep snow/gravel/sand gives out under the weight of the car. So the wheels slip, causing the system to activate rapidly since normally, the wheels would've already locked up. I personally wouldn't try to drive in any decent amount of snow regardless of what brake set up I have, ABS or conventional.

Comment

sometimes you have no choice. Sadly the best thing I have in snow is the Towncar, which will no longer be driven in snow. The S10 with weight in the bed is tolerable even without the ABS but it just takes a lot of care to get around.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In the event of driving in snow, engine breaking might be better.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        I personally wouldn't try to drive in any decent amount of snow regardless of what brake set up I have, ABS or conventional.
                        Well in the winter, when you live in Buffalo, and have to commute 60 miles a day, you really don't have a choice in the matter.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

wait till you get a job mang. The boss doesn't want to hear that ABS brakes aren't designed with snowy roads in mind.

Comment

wait till you get a job mang. The boss doesn't want to hear that ABS brakes aren't designed with snowy roads in mind.
                            I'll tell the customer that. I'll explain that they really aren't designed for snowy/loose roads. And send the customer on their happy way. If the customer insists however... that's another story, I'll replace whatever he/she wants, as long as he/she's paying.

Comment

sometimes you have to get places, no matter what the weather is doing. The world does not stop just because it snowed. Unless of course you live somewhere south of DC.

Comment

4WD FTMFW.

It gets you where you need to be, without the nonsense.

When we had 30 inches of snow this year (thats a good storm, for this area), I was one of 6 people that showed up for work in my building (about 1000 people).

Sliding around never stopped me from going anywhere. I think I mentioned it already, but I don't believe my '04 Dodge has ABS at all. I can lock the wheels up in the snow with ease.
                                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                                X