Rear End Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear End Removal

Hi guys, whenever the junkyard opens back up, I'm gonna pick up my 3.55 trak lok with rear disc brakes. Now I want to know what bolts the control arms to the rear end. I believe they are torx bits, but I don't know what size. Can anyone back this up for me, and possibly tell me what size they are? So I can pick up the proper bit? Thanks in advance...

~John

A couple brackets on the bottom of the axle tube not too far from the brake drums. The control arms extend out to the frame. I'm waiting for next weekend (supposed to be 50*, yay) to work on the rear that I got. You installing poly bushings as well?

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Hi guys, whenever the junkyard opens back up, I'm gonna pick up my 3.55 trak lok with rear disc brakes. Now I want to know what bolts the control arms to the rear end. I believe they are torx bits, but I don't know what size. Can anyone back this up for me, and possibly tell me what size they are? So I can pick up the proper bit? Thanks in advance...

~John
      they are pretty big suckers i can tell you that . somethign stupid like a 50 or something... i tinkn been a while scicne i fiddled with mine. yoru best bet is to just cut the old ones off and replace with soemthign of your like ing.
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I just did this with a 94 CV, and from my research the torx bits are on the upper arms only, I was told they were T100, tried T50, which didn't even come close. But I got mine out using a big allen wrench that fit almost perfect, the job is pain in the ass. The lower arms use regular bolts.

Also I noticed that on boxes they used bolts on both the upper and lower arms, it was Areos were the Torx bits are used on the uppers.

I have no idea what the whales have, upper or lower.

All this was by observation only, looking under several different cars at the JY, so don't take my word for any of it.
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 12-28-2010, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Sawzall it is then. I'm not fucking with this thing in the cold. There's gonna be so much snow on the ground I know it...

The rear is an an early '92 Crown Vic (has the AOD). I believe it is a Touring Sedan since it also has air suspension, and dual exhaust.
          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Under junkyard, cold as hell, snow all over the place conditions. I would get that thing out as fast as possible, so go ahead and cut the arms, and worry about those big ass bolts later in a warm garage.!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              Under junkyard, cold as hell, snow all over the place conditions. I would get that thing out as fast as possible, so go ahead and cut the arms, and worry about those big ass bolts later in a warm garage.!!
              SOOOOOO TRUE. Hopefully scottmang's coal burners will keep me warm.

Comment

i think it's a t55 or a t60

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you don't cut it off, take a big breaker bar with you. Those thing are tight as hell.
                  89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                    i think it's a t55 or a t60

I am fairly certian its a T55, but dont recall 100%

so, is it out yet?
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Wait....early whale rears with discs will swap DIRECLTY into a box except for some brake line and parking brake cable stuff?

And if that is true, early whale rears would also swap into my '88 Town Boat?

If any of this is correct, than we're talking '92-'97 rears, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
                        Wait....early whale rears with discs will swap DIRECLTY into a box except for some brake line and parking brake cable stuff?

And if that is true, early whale rears would also swap into my '88 Town Boat?

If any of this is correct, than we're talking '92-'97 rears, yes?
                        What. 92-97 = aero, 98+ = whale.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Oops, I guess I don't have the lingo correct.

All the new ones look like aerodynamic whales to me, I guess.

So a 92 to 97 rear can go with realitve ease into an '88 TC, or no? I know '98-up they started with the Watts linkage orr whatever it was...

Comment

92-97 rear bolts in
                            98 up rear does not

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Gracias.

Comment

Working...
                              X