Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

t5 manual trans?

Hi!

Not requiring details yet, not taking it seriously YET....
    But, is it possible?

I'm NEVER going to learn to drive manual until I own one as a daily driver.
    And as my panther wagon is going to remain my fulltime daily driver for at least 2 years more...
    And as we learn to do manual transmissions next spring, most likely...

Is it possible?
    Cut a hole in the floor for the shifter

Obviously it can bolt up to a 302 because the fox bodies have them; does a t5 match up to the chassis and to the rest of the drivetrain?

at least 2 cars here have it done. I believe it's Southern_Pride and Pesty351

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

sweet! Southern_Pride and Pesty351, do you have photos of what the shifter looks like inside the car? Can it be done clean & professional?

Comment

the hardest thing would be the pedal assembly/quadrant and the clutch cable/firewall adjuster.
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

You will need a fox body clutch pedal, aftermarket quadrant, and you need to relocate your cross-member but it is a fairly simple job.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	1264283
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

I've never worked on an f-150, so I don't know what it looks like, but have wondered about using a truck pedal assy? Has anyone investigated that?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Ahem...

I don't really mention it in the video, but you can see the interior view at 2:53 -3:15

The shifter is made out of a brake pedal.

If you've got a 79-89 the most tedious part is the pedal + brake booster work. The 90+ is easier because pedal assy is different, and there's more room for the clutch quadrant. The transmission went in like it was made for the car.
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Can the '90 pedal + assy be swapped in?
                I've always been a stick guy, & would like to do this swap to the '87 CS. I have contemplated taking the TKO (1st gen) from the Capri & replacing it with a TKO 500 or 600 for it.....

I would guess that would be the right time to do the rear disc & newer front brake upgrade since it appears that the booster would be done w\the tranny swap...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Freshmeat has a sticky regarding the swap.

As far as using a truck pedal assembly, I'd imagine it would prove difficult. Trucks have a taller firewall, which means the pedal assembly is longer, and may interfere with the firewall/ floor during operation. It could probably be made to work, but there are no promises.

I actually thought about buying and aftermarket Ansen style assembly, or going with a Tilton assembly and eliminating the power brakes.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

You will need to use an aero brake booster. It bolts right up but is narrower to make room for the cable.
                    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                      Can the '90 pedal + assy be swapped in?
                      I've always been a stick guy, & would like to do this swap to the '87 CS. I have contemplated taking the TKO (1st gen) from the Capri & replacing it with a TKO 500 or 600 for it.....

I would guess that would be the right time to do the rear disc & newer front brake upgrade since it appears that the booster would be done w\the tranny swap...
                      The truck pedal setup is a hydraulic clutch setup. You'll find that aside from the thing physically not fitting, and the t5 being a cable driven setup, that there is no room on the firewall for a clutch cylinder.

The 79-89 pedal assy isn't the problem. It's the shape of the firewall, and the space beneath the dash that is the problem. On a 90-91 you weld the tube for the clutch pedal on top of the assy, but on a 79-89 you drill a hole and route it through the middle.
                      As soon as you try to install it, you'll see the clutch quadrant hits at the top, and you'll need to cut a notch in a rib way up at the top of the firewall. I had to even take a punch and beat the top of the rib up just a tiny bit as well, but then I should have mounted my clutch pedal about 1/8" lower.

The brake booster comes from an aero vic/marquis WITHOUT ABS. Everywhere I went they kept trying to sell me the wrong brake booster. The easy way to tell, is to take a master cylinder with you, and make sure it will fit.
                      The abs version has the studs set farther apart, and the hole is too big.

You could upgrade the brakes, etc while you are at it, but there is no real reason to.
                      While you will need to swap out the brake booster, the master cylinder will still fit, and there is just enough length on the brake lines for it to work in it's new position. You don't even have to unhook the lines.

If it were me, I'd get the 5 speed project done, and finished out the way you want it, so you can be driving it while you save up for the brake+ suspension upgrade.

Axle codes
                      Open/Lock/Ratio #
                      -----------------------
                      G / H / 2.26
                      B / C / 2.47
                      8 / M / 2.73
                      7 / - / 3.07
                      Y / Z / 3.08
                      4 / D / 3.42
                      F / R / 3.45
                      5 / E / 3.27
                      6 / W / 3.73
                      2 / K / 3.55
                      A / - / 3.63
                      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Posted a link wrongity wrong...

here are some terrible pics of the brake pedal setup.
                        The clutch pedal is from the mustang assembly, but the brake pedal is the original one from a my car. I just cut it down to the same shape, so the mustang rubber pedal covers would fit.
                        side view

Name:	IM000068.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1264297

top view

Name:	IM000070.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1264299

pass side view... sorta.

Name:	IM000069.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1264298

The clutch quadrant is rotated 90 degrees to far clockwise. If it were in it's proper position you can see that it extends above the pedal assembly about 3/8"-1/2"

As for the firewall adjuster, I never could make mine work in the location I had to use. I just took the slack up at the transmission with cable clamps. It isn't an elegant solution, but it cost me all of 2$ and it works just fine.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Sorry I don't have one. I'm afraid I break one. And I'm finally figuring out how to rebuild an aod as I'm tired of smoking them. Almost ripped all the teeth off the low gear clutches in the last one.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS
                          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                          X