New Rear end today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rear end today....

Got the new rear end put in today... came out of a 89 Grand Marquis with 84,000 miles on it. The rear end was perfect, no play, the gears looked like new. The car looked like a grandpa's car, so it probably never saw speeds above 70, if that! Here is the pics....

Old rear end....

Removing it....

Out!

Somethings missing....

New one...

Hooking up the new one...

One thing that happened that was funny when they dropped the rear end, both rear springs fell out and hit the cement perfectly at the same time, on the end, and bounced outwards with a loud "SPROING"!!! Both of the guys doing it about jumped out of their skin! (Yes, it was LOUD!) I about fell out laughing at them....

Only "converting" we had to do was to change out the "plate" on the rear end where the universal yoke bolts up... Since the police package one is bigger....
    It took us about 4 1/2 hours to do it, with numerous breaks! (One was when the ice cream truck came by....)

Next project is to steam clean the entire underside, paint the suspension parts, (rear end, front crossmember A-frames etc... then have the car re-undercoated...
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-20-2011, 06:44 AM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Nice!!! And without the aid of a lift to boot. That will be the one thing that I will not be doing with my rear diff swap.

Packman

Comment

double thread

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ice cream FTW

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice to have buddies help out.

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          double thread
          I fixed that.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            Nice!!! And without the aid of a lift to boot. That will be the one thing that I will not be doing with my rear diff swap.

Packman
            Dropping the rear end without a lift is actually pretty easy. I did the whole job nearly solo with nothing but 2 jack stands. Granted a buddy was needed to help line everything up on re-installation.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yes it took all three of us to get it lined up, the springs in place while we lifted it up and attached the top bolts... (We put the bottom bolts in first, then placed the springs, then lifted it in place and put in the top bolts) Sort of tricky, but no big deal...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Hope you don't care that the track width is a little smaller than the rear you pulled. That's cool though, I can't wait to do the rear in my car.

Comment

The difference is maybe an inch? It still handles the same... eh, it gives me more room for larger tires, if I go that route some day... I just like the fact that the car doesn't have a "rumble" anyore above 60 MPH... only thin left to do (happening Wednesday) is to replace the drive shaft yoke bearing / bushing in the trans. I guess since the rear end and the u-joints were bad, it wore it out, so there is a slight vibration from that. (You can move it up and down about an eighth of an inch) My transmission guy is changing it out for me for $50.00... After that, it should be good to go... Then ready for the Chicago Car Show!

Comment

Seal too I hope?

Comment

Of course!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X