Sway bar links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway bar links

I noticed my Mark 7 seemed a bit loose so I took a look under the front end.
    I quickly noticed my sway bar links looked loose. How is that possible I thought.. Maybe the bolts came loose.

So I crawled under and proceeded to try to tighten them up. The six inch 3/8 ratchet wouldn't budge them so I grabbed the 12 incher and tugged away. Nothing... so I pulled for all I was worth and suddenly it seemed to be tightening up. Ten or so pulls later, wow that's too easy... Stripped the nut threads right off. So I guess they were as tight as they go.

So I cut them both off and go to install the new set. I lay them beside the new set and here the old set is a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer than the new set.

Could they have stretched that much and not broken? They don't look deformed at all.

I wonder if someone installed a wrong set at some point or if they came that way or what happened.

Any way, if the rain ever stops I'll be able to see if there is much improvement handling wise. I would think there has to be a huge improvement as loose as they were..

Anyone else ever seen this?

The pics show the bolts, the bushing as they were and the new made in USA bushings
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 85MercPark; 03-06-2011, 06:59 PM.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

They take quite a beating as far as bushings go. Pulled pushed and tweaked sideways. The rubber just gets all compressed on the molecular level eventually and they shrink. Changing sway bar bushings should be regular maintenance, and not just the end links. Even the ENG premium poly bushings are pretty shot after 5 years of the abuse a sway bar dishes out.
    sigpic
    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Wow, that there was the problem...

Never handled so well.

I am still perplexed by that long bolt.

The bushings I took out where still soft and not dried or cracked. Exactly the same size as the new ones. They did not shrink.

My guess is someone replaced the link with an incorrect size at some point or maybe from the factory, though I doubt they would look so good after 20 some years.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

those weren't originals...the factory ones are stamped to hold the washer where it needs to be, they don't use collars.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yup, aftermarket with too-long bolts or too-short spacer tube. The ends of the sway bar should be parallel to the ground with the car at normal trim height. Ditto with the lower control arms.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's what I figured, the bolts where longer on the old set..

It seems tighter and that rattle up front is gone.

Now to track now the vibration and slight pull to the right...

The vibration is more noticeable now with the tight sway bar...
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
            X