What do you think of these rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of these rims?

I am going to use these with 245/60/15 tires. The rims are old stock Ford 15 x 8 inch steel. In the pictures I leaned the rims against the wheels already on the car. I want to keep it plain probably stay with the silver look on the rims. Maybe get some center caps from the 70's. I do not care about the paint job. The interior is okay except need a dash pad, elect. windows worked on and I need a couple of AC vents. The seats are in good condition. I have been redoing the suspension the past two weeks. I just put Bilstein shocks on. Coming soon will be a rear sway bar and a larger bar up front. I also want to replace the upper and lower control arms as well as new ball joints. I am looking to get the 60's NASCAR Galaxie look with slot car type handling. As for power I believe that going with a mild buildup with a 3.55 possible 3.73 posi in the future. I want to be able to scoot around quickly during rush hour. Top speed doesn't matter. Smooth riding doesn't matter either to me. If you like the rims say so. If you don't like them say so too.

2 QUESTIONS which brand of tire and model of tire do you guys recommend for handling and cornering? Any recommendations for performance sway bars, control arms and balljoints?
    Thank you,
    Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND MARQUIS WHEELS 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1297597Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND MARQUIS WHEELS 001.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1297598Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND MARQUIS WHEELS 006.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1297599Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND MARQUIS WHEELS 002.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1297600
    Attached Files
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

looks like someone stole your hubcaps, or you're prepping for a demo derby.

BTW, I loathe naked steel wheels so take that for what its worth.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Are you sure those are Ford wheels in the 5x4.5 bolt pattern that'll fit your car? I don't recall seeing 15x8's and the 15x7's were used on Torino Cobras and Boss Mustangs and are super rare and super expensive. Dodge cop car wheels can be found in the 15x7's but you have to use a Mopar center cap. Some of the big '70s Ford cars used 15" wheels but they also used a bigger bolt pattern.

Comment

THATS what I am talkin about....THANK YOU!!

Thank you for your reply Gadget 73... I am looking for honest feedback. Pushin Fords thank you too. Pushinfords. I only know the rims came from a 1970 Torino I bought 4 years ago. I know the Boss 302s standard and later Mustangs came with the 15 x 7 option. When I bought the car the seller offered me $800.00 and trade me a set of Magnum 500 rims. I figured I had nothin to lose since I was buying a rust free car so I declined his offer. I have looked the wheels over and can only see 8 jj stamped into the front lip and the letters H and N stamped into the lug net outside area. I have measured the inside lip to inside lip and they also measure 8 inches. 8 and 1/2 inch outside lip to outside lip. I also have a pair of 14 x 10 orange Ford rims that came off of my brothers 70 Orange Torino. These look to have been 2 rims welded to make one. The 15 x 8's do not have this weld. I thank you again Pushinfords.

Gadget73. That is exactly what I want. I want it to look unappealing so when the rice burners ride my ass or the drunk cowboys and Fore Runners after an Astro's game do the same when I am only trying to get home from work at 10PM, I kinda like to push it down and let the aholes know what a real car can do. Who gives a shit they gave $30,000 to $50,000 for their "ride". I have $7000 in mine in ten years and it is fun to smoke their ass both in quick pickup and handling. I also back down when it gets too fast. I enjoy a quick, short SAFE 70-80 MPH. Nothin more, nothing less.

Thank you two again.
        Mike
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Slap some police hubcaps and/or trim rings and they'll look cool.

As is, yeah, looks like a demo derby car.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The wheels and tires you see are not on the car. I placed them against the turbine wheels that were factory on the car. They are not inside the fender wells. I thought without the little center caps would make the car look like someone in the (area) STOLE the PO-PO'S wheels. It is amazing to me that people, usually who are walking think I am the police. I don't care about that. I want as much of a handler as I can get. From factory they are already comfy. AGAIN trying to look like a piece of crap that is hinding in stealth. Maybe its my age. I APOLOGIZE ALSO, that I am not giving the respect to our fine looking BOX bodys that I too feel they deserve. Understand that I am driving in a city of 5-6 million people and I look at my 35 miles roundtrip to work as both a video game and a chess game. If an idiot is driving and I see them in my rear view mirror. I start wonder how can I be dumb and let them stick theirselves while I casually slide around and SLOWLY cruise away, while Mr. Or Ms. IDIOT gets trapped behind other normal CASUAL drivers. Everyone have a SAFE and A GREAT NIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              Slap some police hubcaps and/or trim rings and they'll look cool.

As is, yeah, looks like a demo derby car.
              ^This...Or consider finding a set of HPP rims.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Are you sure that those are Ford wheels?

I would swear to you, up and down, that those are Chrysler wheels. Without seeing them in person, I can't tell for sure, though.

That is a Mopar wheel, in a 15x7 variety.

15x8 is very unusual, although you can have custom sizes up to 16x10 made by certain companies. I think they'll do a 15" wheel all the way to a 14" width. In stock variety, I don't know what would have come with 8" wheels...

They just look more like a Mopar wheel than a Ford. They would have the same bolt pattern too.

If they are Mopar wheels, these are the center caps you need.

By the way... I love those wheels, and am thinking about having a custom 16x6, 16x8 set made for my car. I need 16s to clear the brakes.

I can stand them without a center cap, but I'd probably run caps in the front, and none in the back. I have to make some power before I can pull of that serious business look, though.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Free = good. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with old Mopar steelies. If you like 'em, use 'em, and you'll have a nice wheel upgrade for just the cost of tires!

Have you measured the backspacing? 4.5" would be the typical choice for a Panther owner, 4" is also good, 3.75" you can get away with but it's pushing it (I know). I also know that an 8.5" wheel with 4" BS, which sticks out 1/4" further still, is a bit much (at least on my wagon).

Lots of good tires available in the size you're looking at. I'd also look at 255/60, since it's (theoretically) closer to stock diameter and seems to have a larger selection of brands and models to choose from.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
                    I thought without the little center caps would make the car look like someone in the (area) STOLE the PO-PO'S wheels.
                    I've heard a colorful story about that ... guy bought brand-new '98 cop wheels from a dealer ... in '98 .... and within a month or two the local cops happened to have their wheels stolen .... didn't look good! Though, any departments still running Vics are almost certainly running the '03-up high-offset wheels, so I doubt even 16s would ever be seriously confused with something in current police service.

From my experience, I never have anyone give me a second look with my '98-'02 steelies no matter which black LTD I'm driving. Of course, people around here would probably tailgate and run lights right in front of a marked squad car, but I've never been mistaken for a cop anywhere (except back in high school, but that was before I was even driving!). But the point is, I've never had any trouble with someone thinking a 24-year-old police package Vic is actually in current police service. The rare enthusiast will peg it as a police model and say something, but mostly people just ignore it.
                    Last edited by 1987cp; 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Still got your Torino? I have a '70 GT but I'm looking at selling it this spring to pay for house repairs. Anyway...I don't really care for them bare but I like the dog dish look. Paint them black and add hubcaps...like the Men in Black car.

Comment

thanks GUYS for your input. It is appreciated!

Pushinfords. I actually still have the 70 Torino. I also have a 71 Torino GT M code 1200 miles away tucked into a barn along with a 69 mach 1 and a 70 Mustang convertible. Plus 2 more 69 coupes. I have all of the parts for these cars. I just need time, I need the cars where I currently live and about $6000-8000 put into each including a primo paint job on each. Also in storage closer to me is a 78 Mustang 2 302 GHIA and a 73 XA FAlcon Superbird made to look like a 78 Falcon COBRA. The rest are 351 Clevelands. When the LO PO goes in the GM. I may build a Clevor or drop in a 72 351 CJ or 69 351 Windsor 4v. I do thank you all for replying and still welcome more comments.

How much for the Torino Pushinfords? Send some pics sometime.
                        stinkydogfilms@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Working...
                        X