No announcement yet.

Ride quality with speedway springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The upper ball joit cleasrance issue. This shot is with a 18" wheel. 15" and the edge of the control arm is about a finger width from the side of the tire. With the 91ish big brakes I believe there is more clearance to the ball joint but not shure as havent installed my bigger brakes yet.
    Next closest thing is the sway bar full lock its about a finger width away. Pick also with 1 to 1/12 drop 18" wheel
    Attached Files
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

That seems to be pretty close. But you say the big brakes add more clearance? If that is only 1.5", then it's going to be real tight with 3" drop. Maybe I should rethink the drop, or build some custom control arms, but the ball joint will still be in a similar location.

-Blane
      85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
      09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
      79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
      64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Its not just clearances. Things like control arm angles iner and outer piviot points angles drawn through them were they intersect, figuring roll centers , dive and squat. Then the knowlege of what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
          You might want to get it weighed. A 351 weighs almost 200 lbls more than a 302. A 351 weighs almost the same as a 390 with an aluminum intake. So some of the weight you removed from the front possibly only ofset the differance of the engine. Metal inner fender wells will add weight back also. Steel front bumper is about 78 lbs. inner bumper is about half the weigh of the outer. Aluminum bumper is about 50 lbs.

Height of the inner fender wells is less of an issue compaired to the rear firewall clearance.

They just quit making the largest / fattest 18" tire that will fit 285 30 18 BFG. They have a load rating of 1605. All other mfg's I have researched are 1400 or less. These were also summer only tires and require custom made rims because of the ofset required.

if you use an aluminum bumper with the aluminum inner support, and cut the inner support down to just the minimum amount of material, the whole assembly is about 35#s
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

That seems like a lot to learn, think I will take my chances with big brake ones. I have picked up on a few things and have been reading a lot on the subject. Trial and error seems to be the best way to learn though, maybe not the cheapest, but then I can find mistakes. Duce, I like that weight a lot better, but I can't find aluminum bumpers around here, and I think my air dam will weigh quite a bit less. But from steel to aluminum, that is a big difference. Didn't you do a major overhaul on your suspension? I was reading the thread in your signature and your car is far from factory. I can't track down the guy on CVN that had the blue road race panther. Anyone know if he is here or how to find him?

-Blane

Comment

I pmed him. Dont think he has been in there for a while we used to talk alot. He lost intrest in CVN and was in there less and less. Thought I had his email but cant find it. In cvn we just talked in PMs to avoid all the flack.

Comment

Okay. Thank you. I understand need for PMs. Hopefully he will respond. I'm going to get some pictures of everything and post them up. And you can throw me some ideas if I run into any issues. Might take a little while to fab stuff though if that is required, holiday times and the time change makes it difficult to work on a car after school/work. PM me if you have some crazy ideas to try, I am open to learning and trying about anything.

-Blane

Comment

Working...
                X