No announcement yet.

Steering Coulmb stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They gave ya an 84 and down column I believe.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Tore into the columns today will post some picks and findingss later
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Here is what was sent. It an earlyier version with the horn ativated by pushing in on the turn signal stalk. Think Ford started this on the 79 Mustangs known as the Europe style wiper, turn signal switches

Click image for larger version

Name:	STEERING COL 82-87 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1270212

Click image for larger version

Name:	STEERING COL 82-87 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1270213
        Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The only differance between the steering wheels is the conector in the wheel for the cruse. Newer wheel (brown one) is jumper wires from the connector to the horn in the center pad. The old wheel (blue one) could be used on a newer modle and you would have horn in the turn signal and wheel. Cruse switches in the wheels could be swapped. Think the center pad could also be swapped but haven checked yet. The turn signal switches could also be swapped.
          Attached Files

Comment

Should mention the newer steering wheel is held on by a bolt the older ones are held on by a nut. To remove old one remove the nut and use a puller to remove the wheel. The newer bolted style loosen the nut so there is about 1/8 to 3/16 between the nut and wheel do not remove the bolt. Install the puller and push against the bolt (sometimes the bolt might turn with the puller might need to hold the bolt with a wrench). Tighten the puller untill the wheel pops up. Remove bolt and wheel.

Comment

One of the first things noticed is how the shift indicator coller is cracked and wired into position. After looking at it had an Alexander The Great moment and cut the Gordian knot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Back side of the steering wheels are the same. I cleand up the contact rings with an eraser just for snicks.
                Attached Files

Comment

These are the contacts that connect to the rings in the back of the steering wheel to energize the cruse control switches and horn (if aplicable). Will probably clean up the ends of these too. Champher the edge a bit as it feels a bit sharp do to wear.
                  Attached Files

Comment

There is adifferance in these connectors possibly due to EFI vs carb or CFI. The older one has a single round connector the newer 2 rectangular plugs. It can be pulled out through the front of the plate. The sleeve on the wires clips to a bracket to hold it in place.
                    Had to swap it out to have proper connectors for Creamy.

The spring on the front can also be poped off and the plate unsrewed and change out which I because the white clip on the plate that holds the trim collar behind the wheel was crooked fixed that and reinstalled. Wierd thing the newer spring was a tad stronger and wound the opposite direction (used the newer spring). No big deal, plates are the same.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Here is what was sent. It an earlyier version with the horn ativated by pushing in on the turn signal stalk. Think Ford started this on the 79 Mustangs known as the Europe style wiper, turn signal switches

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34230[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34231[/ATTACH]
                      actually the 78 fairmont and fiesta had this also.....

Comment

Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
                        actually the 78 fairmont and fiesta had this also.....
                        I recall my Grandparents having an early ford ranger with the horn on the wiper stalk too.
                        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Dont realy remember when they started horn switches on the stalk. Owned mustangs most of my life bought one new in 79 (POS). Just remember it was about that time period.

Comment

Guess the yard they pulled the column at didnt know how to at the seals to the floor pan at the end of the shaft and cut the plastic shield over the rubber boot at the floor boad / firewall. 2 screws attach it on the interior side then the rest are on the engine bay side. Actually already did the swap in these pics
                            Attached Files

Comment

To remove the plastic shield a screew driver or such and a small hammer is all thats needed. Theree are some clips on the shaft carefull not to dammage them. Should be reinstalled upon reassembly. In this case I removed the bracket attached to the lower mounting bracket of the steering column. There are some seals in the rubber boot that can be snapped in and out. Also a bushing in the bracket. Inspected them for the ones that looked best greased them a tad and put it all back togeather.
                              Attached Files

Comment

How about you guys with steering wheels that are a bit rocky. It might have nothing to do with bearings in the tilt. Under the tilt hsg are a couple bolts that attach the hsg to the column. In my case the screws holding the switch in place were loosee too. I removed the bolts under the switch in the new column and applied some blue loctite and tightened them down.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X