No announcement yet.

Shifter Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no, thats not the problem. The white thing should be what makes it so you have to pull the shifter towards you to get it out of park. If the shifter is floppy, the problem is more likely the clamp holding that tube to the column, or the one just like it further down.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      no, thats not the problem. The white thing should be what makes it so you have to pull the shifter towards you to get it out of park. If the shifter is floppy, the problem is more likely the clamp holding that tube to the column, or the one just like it further down.
      Nope just checked and both are tight

Comment

that white/tannish piece should be under the clamp. if you take the bolts out and the clamp off, you can pull that piece out and turn it around so it'll stay under the clamp again (did this on my 93). But again, that's not the problem. That just makes the handle wiggle a little in place if the gear linkage is working right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Then what could it be if the bolts are tight

Comment

does the car actually go into gear according to what the needle on the dash is pointing at? If all the linkages are working right, then it's probably that spring loaded white part off to the side. The spring may have died in it. That's the part that really gives the shifter it's stop points.

If the shifter doesn't actually engage the gears, or it will leak a gear off both ways before shifting the transmission, you'll need to follow the moving parts associated with the shifter until you find the loose part. It's usually the bracket the cable attaches to at the middle of the shifter shaft under the dash (just behind the area the instrument cluster is in). If all that is tight... check the linkage at the transmission to make sure the brackets aren't broken or the cable detached.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just found the problem. After taking it mostly apart from the top, I found that the tube has broke in half some how. I toke half of it out from the front but can't find how to get the other half out. It looks like I have to take a big plastic thing of that goes from the left driver side air vent to the left of the passenger air bag. Is there any way to take the other half off from the bottom so I don't have to take that plate off?

Comment

Working...
              X