OH ye! NEWBIE QUEST. 1995 liconln town car REAR Diff. /Rear End replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH ye! NEWBIE QUEST. 1995 liconln town car REAR Diff. /Rear End replacement

1995 LICOLN TOWN CAR _ with 168k miles. org. tran & engine. Many new parts though, includ. air shocks, new rear shocks, new pivot control arms.

cars been taken very well care of.

recently driver-front-tire got slammed into high curb -from sliding downhill. next day- brake pedal went to floor. Mechanic changed brake-master cyl.
    two days latr, brake pedl went to floor. & noticed big leak next to rear-passg. wheel. mechanic then changed some brake lines in back. =prob. solved.

(**i think car slamed into curb pushed brakeFluid out, and when changed MASTERcyl- better/new- pressure caused rear lines to rupture)

next week- driving on highway - sudd. car started to shake and make lots noises.

mechanic -said not U-JOINT. but lots of wetness under rear diff. so sh/d change rear diff/rear end job.- QUOTE abt. $1,000

there was always some oily stff under rear diff. but every1 said it no problem. U THINK something 1)fishy is happ. in mechanic shop?**, or 2)can a rearDIFF. just lose all fluid or U THINK ITs something else? 3) IS $1000 right for rear end/diff. replcmnt.

probably pinion seal which typically means bearings are shot. Bearings and seals on an axle shouldn't run more than $600 from a reputable shop. $1000 would be a total replacement of all bearings, and axle shafts and gears. another $200 and the carrier is done as well.

Could always take a trip to PA and visit Lincolnmania and let him fix it up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

so does that mean i need to replace all the gears now? because it was running w/out fluid.
      with my problem (the way i described it) what exactly should have to be replaced?
      thank you very much for answering - im going out of my mind trying to figure this out

Comment

Working...
      X