What Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is It?

Just curious as I saw this photo from an '87 Canadian CV. What is the "cylinder like part" next to the cat? Always curious about that but never looked into it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img6290v.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1299319

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Its purpose is to dampen the exhaust so it doesn't drone. I dont know exactly what Ford calls it though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How did I know you or Scotty would be first to respond? THANKS!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Hi

Ford got cheap on some model year Town Cars and only fitted one on the right side, then issued a service bulletin to fit another to the left side after numerous complaints of droning in the exhuast.

Regards

Dereck
        President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

I have a set of those off of something...Always forget to put it on when the exhaust comes apart of the car is up in the air though. Doubt it is necessary even to bother.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

As others have said, I believe it is a vibration dampener that is intended to minimize vibrations in the exhaust system.

Comment

it's a weight balancer for the single exhaust setups.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                It's piece of unnecessary weight, now residing in the scrap pile. I got rid of those when I replaced the "y" pipe in my Merc. There is no difference in my car whatsoever.

Comment

didn't say it was needed... just what it was used for.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, i had the same on mine when i had the single exhaust, just a weight. i left it off when i installed the h pipe
                    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
                    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
                    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
                    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
                    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
                    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
                    Dead and sold.

Comment

Its not needed, but it makes things quieter at certain engine speeds. Probably would't notice it much with aftermarket exhaust parts though.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If we drove like the target demographic of a Grand Marquis/Town Car/Crown Vic, then we'd notice a difference. =-)

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                          Factory duals have them too. Again, unneeded weight for the scrap pile.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If I remember correctly, the 93 sport also had them. I wonder if they would reduce the low rpm drone.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

it would help probably. thats what they were there for. I need to dig up a set to fit a Mark VII H pipe. I don't remember if the Mark has them, but I know the Towncar does not and its got drone issues. The Mark does too actually, and I'd like them to go away. Its a Lincoln, it should be like driving down the road in a tomb with a couch in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X