What shocks to run on the Towny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What shocks to run on the Towny

ive been reading around and see you guys run cargo coils on cars because they are better if youve got weight in the trunk.. what would you guy recommend for the towny?

we will be having probably around 150lbs in the trunk.. would the cargos be too much? we also have airshocks for the back.

i work at advance auto and can get a set of factory replacements for around 65 with discount, would the factory ones be enough when paired with teh air shocks?

thanks guys
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

does it have the auto level air stuff? if so, you've basically got 2 choices, Monroe or Gabriel. I had better luck with the Monroe, the Gabriels blew the seals out in a few years and dumped the oil. Just buy the little brass adapter thing to tie into the factory air plumbing and you're good to go.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i believe they are regular gas shocks. i could be wrong, we havent looked. but we have replacement Monroe airshocks already bought for it. were just doing springs in the rear at the same time.

but now that you mention the auto level. it makes me wonder because it was leaning a bit when we got it and that makes me think it could be the shocks not springs that are bad. and come to think of it.. i think its level again now that weve driven it a bit. it sat for a while and couldve lost a bit of pressure
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I Have the same thread going on right now. 87 town car with cargo coils bouncy in the rear when the trunk is empty. Need new shocks. I really am leaning towards a chevelle straight rate spring cuz of the bouncy ride and the ass end sits too high.
        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

ours sits level.... now.. it was leaning to the pass. side but i think it may have level out now thats its being driven

Comment

The air shocks wont make it sit off level. They tie to a common air line so the pressure will be equal. If its off level, its because you have a weak spring. the front ones go bad too, so even new rear springs may not fix an off-level condition.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok.. i could just be seeing things. it was definitely leaning at one point. so that was because of the gravel drive or its because of the drive that i cant see it now.. basically youre saying if it was ever REALLY leaning then its a spring..

in addition to that, we have a set of monroe shocks to go on. will these hook back up to the original air line?

Comment

Is your system the one that has a compressor sitting under the hood behind the windshield washer resevoir?

In addition is your shock i nthe back equipped to have two hoses that go to each shock?

I am in the market to get new shocks too...or repair a leak in the system

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                ok.. i could just be seeing things. it was definitely leaning at one point. so that was because of the gravel drive or its because of the drive that i cant see it now.. basically youre saying if it was ever REALLY leaning then its a spring..

in addition to that, we have a set of monroe shocks to go on. will these hook back up to the original air line?
                "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

turns out it was just basic shocks on the towny. got those and the coils replaced in the back. both were pretty well shot, more so than i was expecting. shocks didnt have anything left to them at all and the coils were a good 2" shorter than they shouldve been.

the new goodies in the back consist of fresh constant rate springs (opted for the constants because of the weight we have in the trunk) and a set of monroe air shocks

Comment

Working...
                  X