Spoke wheels dis-assembly??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoke wheels dis-assembly??

As you can see i nthe photo, the black part of the rim is pretty faded. I thought there was (I hope) a way to take apart the black part so I can paint it balck again. I saw some bolts on the other side of the rim. Maybe that. Please let me knowClick image for larger version

Name:	Town_Car_A1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1301192
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

There are five bolts on the other side that hold the center piece on, that the spokes are attached to. Its a good idea to wire tie the spokes to each other before, removal. That way it stays somewhat together.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

So your telling me the center part hold together all the spokes. I looks to me as if the spokes are also held in the the outer rim as well

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

The spokes go in the center part. The other end of the spokes rest in the rim. The little balls at the end of the spokes are threaded I believe, for tightening. Same as you would on a bike rim.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

those spokes are fakes on that wheel. all those spokes simply rest/clip in the center and snap into the outer. removing the 5 bolts on the back after taking the centercap out will let you see that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good luck getting it back together properly without busting a few spokes. I tried pulling them apart to polish the spokes and reassemble on my original Town Car wheels. It's probably not going to turn out well.
            87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
            Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

No way I'd try to remove the spokes to clean them. Clean everything as well as you can, in place, and "call it a day"!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Sounds like an arduous task. I am trying to paint the black part, black again. I figure it be easier to just take it apart

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                X