Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on wheels and tires for my wagon

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice, opinions and pics to help me decide what wheels and tires I should get for my 84 Colony Park. I really like the stock white stripe look but the tires are sooooo tall and skinny. 205/75/15? ridiculous. They also wore out quickly on the outside edges (alighment and suspension in great shape) due to my wife cornering "at speed". She's always late...just like me

I was thinking of something on the order of 245/60/15 or 255/60/15 all around or maybe bigs and littles with 235 or 245 50 15 up front and up to 275 60 15 in the back? Does anyone have pics or suggestions? I searched but didn't have much luck.

Thanks!!!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Never understood the point of bigs and littles unless you have a dedicated drag car. You can run 225/70/15's on stock rims no problem, don't go to wide though. Personally I'd go with 16's or 17's if you actually want to upgrade. You can still get 16" white walls if you so desire. On some factory HPP's they'd look really good IMO.

I ran a set of blacked out HPP's on my 91 wagon. However, I will be painting them silver again and putting them on my 85 Tudor. I've got other plans for the wagon.

Last edited by pantera77; 03-23-2014, 11:56 PM.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

225/60R16 work nicely. Much less sidewall flex too with the larger rim and shorter sidewall profile. THey also tend to exist in tire brands that don't suck. Whitewalls in all sizes generally suck though.
      Last edited by gadget73; 03-23-2014, 11:58 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Never understood the point of bigs and littles unless you have a dedicated drag car. You can run 225/70/15's on stock rims no problem, don't go to wide though. Personally I'd go with 16's or 17's if you actually want to upgrade. You can still get 16" white walls if you so desire. On some factory HPP's they'd look really good IMO.

I ran a set of blacked out HPP's on my 91 wagon. However, I will be painting them silver again and putting them on my 85 Tudor. I've got other plans for the wagon.
        I must have cargo coils in the back...the butt is way up high on my wagon, was thinking of a way to fill that area up a bit. What size tires are on the HPP rims? Also, what size tires are one the 15" chrome rims you have? I saw them in a pic of your 87 wagon...which is my 84's twin...same color and woodgrain.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I'm starting to see the 225 60 16 tires and wheels that came on the Mark VII's are the right fit for what i want. Anyone have a pic of them on a box in silver or chrome finish? The black would definitely not work with my blue and woodgrain wagon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130703_161344[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	1273926

Those are the late model, all paint no polish.
            Last edited by jaywish; 03-25-2014, 07:12 PM.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]38711[/ATTACH]

Those are the late model, all paint no polish.
              ok nice. Did you notice any cornering/handling benefit with this wheels and tires?

Comment

I changed so many things in that car that it is hard to isolate. Going to 16" will take a bit of tire wiggle out of the handling and tend to make the ride a bit less soft. Going wider will have the benefit of better dry traction. I found what I saw as a better selection of tires in the 225-60-16" size.

Still so much depends on the particular tire, shock and spring.

At this point though it seems like the 16" selection is shrinking. Now 17" or larger is common but the wheels with the proper offset are not that easy to find.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                  I'm starting to see the 225 60 16 tires and wheels that came on the Mark VII's are the right fit for what i want. Anyone have a pic of them on a box in silver or chrome finish? The black would definitely not work with my blue and woodgrain wagon
                  That's what I plan on running. I've got a set of LSC wheels from my old Mark and the tires that came on the car were 225-60-16.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

I like those wheels pantera.
                    I just put these on last week

Sent from the crapper
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      Never understood the point of bigs and littles unless you have a dedicated drag car.

I've got other plans for the wagon.
                      All cars should be drag cars lol......................

Not to hi-jack but you cant just say "other plans for the wagon" and expect someone to ask what they are lol..........
                      Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

If you're staying 15s I would say 235/60-15s all around. Probably no whitewalls, but it's the magic size for white letters.
                        Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                          All cars should be drag cars lol......................

Not to hi-jack but you cant just say "other plans for the wagon" and NOT expect someone to ask what they are lol..........
                          Corrected dang it..........
                          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Working...
                          X