Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.8 rear, I know I must have screwed this up somehow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.8 rear, I know I must have screwed this up somehow.

I installed all new bearings in this Mark VII rear. It had been whining pretty much since I did it. Finally after maybe 5-10K miles I opened it up to have a look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140513_150412[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1301335Click image for larger version

Name:	20140513_150357[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1301336

On the left side of the rear you can see the shims sticking out. Any particular reason that they would become dislodged like that? (other than I just F..ked up.)

Thanks,
    Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Ouch!!

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

if the shims are installed properly, they basically can't move. They should be captive in position. I want to say they sit in a pocket in the bearing cap, but that may be incorrect. Looks like it was too tight or something and the shims were stuck to the spinning carrier. If the bearings weren't pressed fully onto the carrier, that might do it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't remember if they are held in place by the bearing caps. I was thinking from looking at it they were too loose but given the situation, I don't know much. I thought they were in there pretty tight when they went in.

Incidentally, I put the cover back on filled it with oil and the car is back on the road. I am going to try and get to this job on Tuesday.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah... the bearing caps should hold them in as the shims should be on the outside of the bearings under the caps.that makes me think that the load was too tight and was binding the bearings and spinning the race against the shims.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well maybe that is it. I don't know if I will be able to tell anything when I disassemble it.
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

It turns out that the bearing caps only partly cover the shims. If you have the oem 1 piece shim this is no problem. If you have a pile of small shims it could be a problem. Not saying I did not do anything else wrong but that is what I found. I reset the carrier with some old oem shims that fit pretty well and all seems ok so far.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

that makes sense.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah that would do it. Usually I've seen the fat shims used for the bulk of the space, with maybe a couple thin shims as needed.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I refuse to use those stupid thin shims. Just find the right size fat shims.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Still I am not quite settled about this as many folks must use the thin shims since all the bearing kits ship that way.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I am having a hard time with this.

I've done 8.8s before, GM 10 bolts (similar) etc.

The axles run down through the center of the shims, into the carrier. They should prevent the shims from falling out entirely.

Is it possible the carrier centerline was not parallel with the axle housing centerline? Maybe when you torqued the mains down, the carrier was binding? You'd get a valid torque value, but it doesn't mean everything was seated. Even a few thousandths could cause the shins to get pinched, loaded, and spit out of their seat.

I do believe they are held captive by the axle running through the shims, bearing, race, into the carrier, though.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes they are normally captive. These moved, came in contact with the axle and were ground away. The shims were "C's" not circles when they came out. I believe they were only held in place by the cover.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                          X