Quest to find the white wall tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quest to find the white wall tire

Looking to replace a white wall tire, 215 70R15. White Wall, I have called all around to see if anyone has them, no dice.

Looks like I will have to go to a tire place to get them

Any place peopel go to to get there tires for a good value?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

My dad's friend can sell me a set of four Firestone white wall tires.

Are firestones decent? I don't know off hand how much they would cost me, but two are almost like new and the other two are a little worn.

I just can't find reviews of how firestones are in general
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Maybe check tire-rack for reviews. I do it all the time for particular tires.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Firestone fr710s are literally so bad some Firestone franchises won't sell them. Kumho and... I wanna say hankook? make decent whitewall tires. There's not much modern and whitewall out there, to the point that I just made my own. See if the Diamondback tires whitewall in your size is based on the Michelin defender, that'd be expensive but a very nice allarounder tire.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

cooper trendsetter se

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I don't know that there exists a whitewall tire that I'd buy. They're all kind of shitty in the traction and performance department. I figure I can't see the tires when I'm driving, but I damn well know when they aren't sticking to the road anymore.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I don't know that there exists a whitewall tire that I'd buy. They're all kind of shitty in the traction and performance department. I figure I can't see the tires when I'm driving, but I damn well know when they aren't sticking to the road anymore.
              So true. When I go to car shows I take note when I see a set of whitewalls (will need a set someday for my Towncar)....all, especially Hankooks appear undersized and skinny compared to my current Michelins in the same size. I did notice a tire called Broadway that had a 1" whitewall, probably very expensive.

Comment

kinda why the Michelins are on the 93. Next set of tires on the box will be better, but the kuhmos that are on it (yeah... the cheap ones) are doing amazingly better than they used to with the front gas-a-justs and rear cargo coils and monomax shocks. Still no rear sway bar, but those monomax shocks are so stiff that it really doesn't need a bar now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Futura 2000 LTEs at one time had whitewalls. They may still. Hankook Optimo 727s do also.

Comment

Firestones are shit.. I've have had the Kuhmos and they're good but I don't think they're available anymore.. If you don't feel like paying a lot Hankook has a new whitewall out i plan on putting on the TC. Not to many reviews on tire sites but from what I read on other forums they're decent. I don't drive my car that much if not any in the snow so..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just put Kuhmos on my 88... whatever the current version is that Discount Tire sells. I don't think they have white walls any more though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are you talking wide whites or skinny whitewalls? Depending on what car they are going on, white letter tires would look killer on a box Vic/Marquis. For a Townie, go with wide whites or the inch wide whitewalls. I know Cooper did make a skinny white wall. If you are looking for a white white, Coker is the only one that makes a reliable tire. Those are expensive though.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                        1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                        88 CVLX
                        01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                          Are you talking wide whites or skinny whitewalls? Depending on what car they are going on, white letter tires would look killer on a box Vic/Marquis. For a Townie, go with wide whites or the inch wide whitewalls. I know Cooper did make a skinny white wall. If you are looking for a white white, Coker is the only one that makes a reliable tire. Those are expensive though.
                          Coker and "reliable" in the same sentence? I don't think so. Quality control on the manufacture of those are so shitty that many cannot be balanced properly.
                          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I had a set of Cooper Trendsetters on my '67 and they held up just fine especially for such a heavy beast of a car. Never drove it in the rain or snow, though, so not sure what their performance would be like under those circumstances.

Whitewalls are nearly a specialty item at this point. When I can no longer find a mass produced whitewall, I will have to resort to employing DiamondBack to make my own set. Definitely not cost effective, but you at least get a decent set of tires.
                            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I checked the whitewalls that came with my GMQ, and they're Firestones. They're pretty worn out, but they don't suck. I don't think. It's hard to break the tires loose unless it's raining, but that could be the engine and diff gearing as much as anything. The one gripe I have with them is that the white is splotching outside of the stripe. I'm guessing that just means they're worn out and I should be more careful about rubbing against the curb.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
                              - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
                              1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
                              1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              I'll make it fit.
                              I own hammers.

Comment

Working...
                              X